I am using arch and installed acroread from the official package. But it crashes when i do a search. It is very consistent. Basically the steps are :
1. do a search
2. there are no matches.
3. acroread pops a windows saying there are no matches.
4. click on the "OK" button and acroread crashes.
I tried upgrading to the latest version and it still fails.... Anyone else with the same problem/solutions....
i would suggest launching acroread from a terminal and seeing if there is any error printed to the terminal. then copy them here or copy them into a bug report.
alternatively, if your system is completely up to date, you could try rebuilding the acroread package to see if it fixes any issues.
I am not your friend
The only message printed is "Abort"
Actaully i am behind a proxy. so updating with pacman is not possible. Is there a way to download packages from arch ftp and still install with pacman?
I tried installing gpdf as an alternative. But when compiling gpdf, I get the following error after ./configure.
Package libgnomeui-2.0.pc was not found in the pkg-config search path.
How do i install that. I have the rest of gnome installed.
you can manually download packages from the ftp site and install them with pacman -U fullpkgname.pkg.tar.gz
there is also xpdf in the "unofficial" repository.
gpdf does likely not configure properly brcause it is likely looking for needed gnome components in the wrong places. gnome resides in /opt/gnome and pkgconfig files (.pc) for most exclusive gnome packages reside there so you would have to use an option at configure time for configure to look for need gnome stuff at configure time. otherwise it is looking in default places such as /usr.
you could also make a package out of gpdf. just take a looka t how packages are made, specifically gnome packages.
I am not your friend
thanks for the quick response. I was not aware of -U option to install downloaded packages. That's nice. I updated quite a few on my pc now. Also installed gpdf and it is ok. Acroread is still crashing....