You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-25 15:26:23

GuloGuloDesu

SSHFS does not work using WBAR with xterm -e

I have found that a lot of people have had this problem, but so far I have not been able to find an answer to it.

I use fluxbox with wbar on both my desktop and my laptop.  I have SSHFS setup on my desktop, and my laptop connects perfectly fine to it when I just use the command through xterm

sshfs user1@10.1.2.1:/home /mnt/Desktop

The problem is I don't want to have to type in that command every time that I boot up my laptop at home, so I tried creating a wbar button with the following command:

xterm -e "sshfs user1@10.1.2.1:/home /mnt/Desktop"

The reason that I am using xterm -e is because my ssh key requires a password, and I don't want to hard code that password anywhere.

What happens is that I type in my password, and then the window closes, and nothing has been mounted.  If I copy and paste the command from my wbar into an xterm and it opens a new window the same problem occurs.  A window opens asking for my password, but the folder is never mounted.  If I just copy and paste the sshfs section into xterm, everything works without issue, after I type my password into the same xterm window it mounts the folder.

I believe the problem to be a context problem. So I think it has to do with the context that xterm -e runs commands in.

So far, I have been unable to locate a solution to this.  I figured it would be something simple, but I have killed a couple of hours trying to figure out the problem with no luck thus far.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 2014-08-12 17:03:53

zigfi
Website

Re: SSHFS does not work using WBAR with xterm -e

GuloGuloDesu Did you try ssh key exchange ?;

I have similar issue; i am trying to run sshfs from external script and it is not working, despite the fact when i calling it manually it is working fine.
It is not a password issue in my case, because i have keys exchanged.
Any ideas how to keep window with sshfs open ?

Everything strive to survive, technology is a way.

Board footer