You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-26 07:51:40

hydrosIII

[SOLVED]Problems XFCE4: AWM weather notifications, and no logout menu.

Hi.
Im having some little problems with xfce, the problems doesn's affect the functionality at all but are starting to be really anoying, since i cannot solve them. Since they are small things, i didn't want to open separate topics for them. If this is bad, please tell me.

Ok the most anoying problem is that i keep getting a notification  in the desktop saying that my weather plugin cannot find the data. This notification occurs every hour or so. I tended to ignore it, but it keeps appearing.  Im not using the weather app and i have uninstalled completely from my system. Also i have uninstalled and reinstalled both libnotify and xfce4-notifyd. I have cleared the XFCE sessions cache inmy home folder. I have no idea what else to do. Also i have done " pacman -S xfce4 xfce4-goodies" to reinstall the whole desktop just in the hope that the notification will dissapear. I have no idea what file to remove. ¿Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The second issue comes regarding the xfce options to logout. In the xfce panel there is an option that says logout. This option is supossed to display a menu that gives you options to shutdown, reboot or suspend the computer. I dont get this menu at all, and the logout button just lets me in lxdm sesssion manager. Thus im not able to poweroff the computer directly, and I always use a terminal with the "sudo poweroff" command to poweroff
However i really want the suspend option from this menu. ¿Am i missing some package ?
I have Arch linux installed in another computer, an old netbook, also with xfce4 .Iḿ sure that the logout menu appears in this arch installation.
I just can't think what's wrong. Any help??

Last edited by hydrosIII (2013-11-29 17:20:47)

#2 2013-11-26 08:37:10

brebs

Re: [SOLVED]Problems XFCE4: AWM weather notifications, and no logout menu.

As a guess, look for weather plugin files in ~/.config/xfce4/panel/

#3 2013-11-26 19:53:45

hydrosIII

I looked, thereś nothing in there, except some launchers i have created, but they are not related to my problem. I'll keep looking

#4 2013-11-26 22:05:49

eyemonen

Hi. Have you tried to select "log out..." instead of "log out" in the action buttons plugin preferences? If this brings up a log out dialog, you have just messed up with the plugin settings.

For the first one, could it been that this has something to do with saving your session before removing weather plugin? Just a guess. When you get the log out dialog working, exit all applications, check "save session for the future logins" and log out.

#5 2013-11-27 07:02:24

hydrosIII

eyemonen: Thank you, in fact when i said logout menu i was refering to the applications menu. Just in the bottom there is a logout entry. this entry normally (i think) displays an action menu when you click on it.
But i just discovered the plugin that you said and it works fine, to logout and change user, etc.  I will investigate about the applications menu. to see if it works

About the second problem, i dont think is the issue of saving the session. I just uninstalled the plugin yesterday , to see if that solved the problem. I keep getting the anooying dialog. I dont know what to do. Maybe ill just erase XFCE completely and reinstall it again. ¿Is there a way to uninstall the DE without alll the configuration files???

Another question, where is the "save session for the future logins" option???

#6 2013-11-28 17:58:18

eyemonen

hydrosIII wrote:

eyemonen: Thank you, in fact when i said logout menu i was refering to the applications menu. Just in the bottom there is a logout entry. this entry normally (i think) displays an action menu when you click on it.
But i just discovered the plugin that you said and it works fine, to logout and change user, etc.  I will investigate about the applications menu. to see if it works

Another question, where is the "save session for the future logins" option???

Ah, I have forgot that there is a log out entry in the application menu since I don't use menu myself. To display the logout dialog command xfce4-session-logout is executed without any options. Check if you the logout dialog is displayed when executing this command in terminal. Then take a look at your xfce4-session-logout.desktop file to see if it contains "Exec=xfce4-session-logout" and not something like "Exec=xfce4-session-logout --logout"? Also make sure that your application menu file refers to that desktop file.

The logout dialog contains that "save session for future logins" option.

#7 2013-11-29 04:56:33

hydrosIII

eyemonen, when i execute xfce4-session-logout in a terminal  it just logs me out, it doesn't display a menu. So i think is something wrong with the configuration.  I have reinstalled the package xfce4-session. with no luck. Any idea how to fix this???

Edit:
On a second though i think that the notifications problem has something to do with this problem, seems that xfce4 is saving my session every time i log out. Now i keep getting the virtualbox UI whenever i enter into xfce.

I have erased every folder saying xfce4* into my .config folder under my username. No changes

Last edited by hydrosIII (2013-11-29 05:35:06)

#8 2013-11-29 05:37:46

hydrosIII

Seems that i did something right, erasing the xfce4* folders under .config brought the logout menu back. Half the problem is solved. but i keep getting the notifications.

#9 2013-11-29 10:20:58

dschrute

Check in XFCE menu -> Settings -> Session and Startup -> Application Autostart tab and Session tab. Maybe some unwanted notification or weather setting is linerging there.

#10 2013-11-29 17:14:50

hydrosIII

dschrute. Thank you, i looked, i also cleaned the ~/cache folder, it was not that. I finally found what it is.

The notification came from the AWM weather plugin that im using rather than from XFCE-weather-plugin. The plugin is running fine , it actually retieves the weather data but for some reason, it displays a dialog every time saying it cannot find it.
Im modifying the weather.py to comment the notifications line, hope it works. Reporting this to AWN team.

SOLVED

EDit: editing title to point to AWN

Last edited by hydrosIII (2013-11-29 17:15:09)

Board footer