You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-26 23:30:02

UmbraMalison

Can't boot past bootloader with Syslinux 6.x and Toshiba Tecra R840

Hi,

I run about 6 Archlinux systems, but one of them a Toshiba Tecra R840 doesn't take to the new syslinux 6.x

I had thought that the problem was related to the combination of bios-legacy booting + gpt partition table + separate boot partition.

My reason for using gpt has since gone and so I planned to redo and simplify this setup. In the meantime I've been downgrading syslinux to the 4.x releases.

Today I tried to re-install from disk only to find that the installation disks that use syslinux 6.x also do not work. the boot menu from syslinux is displayed, but after selecting the option, after loading vmlinuz and archiso...ok only a blinking caret is given.

As I have many other systems which all work, the only combination I can see is this laptop and syslinux 6.x

if that is true, then i shall look to write up a bug report with syslinux. but i'd like to run it past you lot first,

please let me know what you think

andy

#2 2013-11-27 19:04:47

Richjn

Re: Can't boot past bootloader with Syslinux 6.x and Toshiba Tecra R840

Hi,
Same issue here on Toshiba Portege Z930 with legacy-bios on a mbr with single partition, downgrading to 4.x fixes it.

I see there are a few fixes going through testing and I haven't tried with a version beyond 6.0.2-2 was planning to try latest version this weekend.

This probably is a bug but with so little data beyond saying "doesn't work"  I had been reluctant to submit a bug report.

Richard

#3 2013-11-28 16:13:36

UmbraMalison

I'm glad its not just me then.

by the way, don't hold your hopes too high. i tried 6.02-6 with no avail.

i've not seen a publicly available bug reporting system for syslinux. only IRC and mailing list. I'll see if there's any life on the IRC, if there's something i can do to make a bug report more usable as like you say there doesn't appear to be much info to submit....

#4 2013-12-19 10:22:01

UmbraMalison

I've waited for the latest releases as advised on IRC, but with no success. So I have raised a bug at Syslinux, http://bugzilla.syslinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45

Board footer