You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-05 07:19:10

donniezazen
Website

[SOLVED] Btrfs, Grub, and Core.img 2MB Partition.

Hello,

Sorry for the preemptive question but due to bandwidth limitations my testing abilities are crippled. I have always setup a 2MB partition for btrfs core.img at the beginning of the disk. Wiki has a new edit as follows.

The factual accuracy of this article or section is disputed.
Reason: This may no longer be needed. Need to verify with a direct installation of Btrfs without a partition table. (Discuss)

GRUB can boot Btrfs partitions however the module may be larger than other File Systems and the core.img file made by grub-install may not fit in the first 63 KB of the drive between the MBR and the first partition. Up-to-date partitions tools such as fdisk and gdisk avoid this issue by offsetting the first partition by 2 MB.

Source

Has anyone done an installation in recent time to confirm that it is indeed not needed to create a 2 MB partition?

I tend to create a 2 MB un-allocated, a 4-6 GB Swap and a btrfs partition. I will report back if I receive no answers.

Thanks.

Last edited by donniezazen (2013-12-06 02:22:39)

#2 2013-12-06 02:22:23

donniezazen
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Btrfs, Grub, and Core.img 2MB Partition.

Yay! Grub no longer requires 1 or 2 MB partition at the beginning of disk to install itself in btrfs setup.

#3 2013-12-06 14:23:16

EscapedNull

Re: [SOLVED] Btrfs, Grub, and Core.img 2MB Partition.

Thanks for following up. I was wondering also, but I didn't get a chance to test it.

Board footer