You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-16 10:00:17

mcloaked

[SOLVED] UEFI boot and rEFInd with both stock kernel and custom kernel

I have a question about how to deal with a system which is set up to boot uefi using rEFInd, which works fine with the stock kernel, but I'd like to know if there is anything special that needs to be done to get the system booting when there is both the stock kernel (vmlinuz) in /boot, with its associated initramfs-linux.img  and initramfs-linux-fallback.img, and then a custom kernel (vmlinuz-custom) plus its associated initramfs files is also added to /boot?

How does rEFInd know which .img files to associate with each kernel?  Is there any additional config needed ( or changed config files) to get this to boot with a user choice of these two kernels (but with one of them as default) - the refind and refind-linux conf files had been set up for the stock kernel originally.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by mcloaked (2013-12-17 10:25:00)

Mike C

#2 2013-12-16 10:25:28

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] UEFI boot and rEFInd with both stock kernel and custom kernel

Just add an entry to the config file for the custom kernel.  Search on posts by me for refind.conf for an example.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2013-12-16 10:31:28

mcloaked

Thanks for the tip - I'll look for your posts that you referred to.

Mike C

#4 2013-12-16 11:23:07

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I don't mean to be standoffish, but there is only so much I can post from a mobile phone tongue

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#5 2013-12-16 11:31:03

mcloaked

No problem, Graysky - I searched and did find a thread in which you posted your menu entries for refind which is very useful.  It should allow exactly what is needed for multiple kernels and make specific associations of the kernel file with the correct initramfs file in each case - which is exactly what I was looking for.   When this has been tried out and works I'll close this thread.

Mike C

#6 2013-12-17 06:44:47

the.ridikulus.rat

@mcloaked: This is what I use in my case, core/linux and aur/linux-mainline (from [miffe] repo). Works perfectly for me with the ext4 EFI driver included in rEFInd pkg (/boot and EFISYS are separate).

/boot/refind_linux.conf

"Boot into default"    "root=..... initrd=/initramfs-linux-fallback.img initrd=/initramfs-linux-mainline-fallback.img"

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2013-12-17 06:46:03)

#7 2013-12-17 10:23:09

mcloaked

the.ridikulus.rat wrote:

@mcloaked: This is what I use in my case, core/linux and aur/linux-mainline (from [miffe] repo). Works perfectly for me with the ext4 EFI driver included in rEFInd pkg (/boot and EFISYS are separate).

/boot/refind_linux.conf

"Boot into default"    "root=..... initrd=/initramfs-linux-fallback.img initrd=/initramfs-linux-mainline-fallback.img"

Thanks - that is useful additional information, and provides an alternative to the solution that solved this issue.  The original question was resolved by using separate stanzas in refind.conf working from some examples that Graysky posted in threads elsewhere. So this is resolved. There is also some useful additional information in the thread at http://sourceforge.net/p/refind/discuss … /ee5d9ff0/ where some comments about arch kernels is useful to know.

Mike C

Board footer