You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-28 12:37:10

Cam
Website

Partition (table?) recovery - ext3

Okay here's some background. I installed Windows 2000 not long ago as an experiment to see if some games would run significantly better than in Cedega. The answer is no btw, especially CS 1.6, runs better in linux! Anyway, everything worked and all was fun. A mate conned me into trying out WoW, I decided to do that in Windows because Cedega doesn't play well with it's update thing and I didn't want to have Wine and Cedega installed.

When I booted up I noticed that in My Computer, one of my ext3 partitions was showing. I thought that was weird and I figured if I tried accessing it bad things would happen so I went and took away it's drive letter so I couldn't accidently do it. Went and had my fun and now when I boot into linux I get these fun messages:

hdc: WDC WD3000JB-00KFA0, ATA DISK drive
hdc: max request size: 1024KiB
hdc: 586072368 sectors (300069 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=36481/255/63, UDMA(100)
hdc: cache flushes supported
 hdc: hdc1
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev hdc1.

fdisk shows it as containing one very large (the 300GB drive has one partition, max size) FAT16 partition. I haven't tried to mount it because that definitely would break stuff, but I need it back to ext3. I want to be careful about it because it has 40-something GB of music on it, most of which I own but thats a long time redownloading sad

I searched for partition recovery here, Google and at LQ.org but only found stuff where people wanted to do stuff like recover ext3 partitions they formatted as reiser or swap by accident. If anyone has ideas of apps that can rebuild my partition table or links to read I'd appreciate it. I saw people talking about apps like this on LQ but nobody mentioned any names in the threads I found.

Thanks smile

#2 2005-12-28 13:00:57

jakob

Re: Partition (table?) recovery - ext3

Ahhh, we had a thread about exactly that problem... i had a lost partition table yesterday, too, but in the thread you can read it more deailed...

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=5901

look out for gpart, it's in aur i think, maybe this can really help you... smile

#3 2005-12-28 13:41:03

Cam
Website

Re: Partition (table?) recovery - ext3

Ha cool! I missed the thread, thanks smile Looks like I should be able to fix it from here but tomorrow sounds good, off to bed now safe in the knowledge it shouldn't be too hard to fix big_smile

Board footer