You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-10 17:49:08

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Arch 0.5 base install patchset jc

Finally I went through with what I intended.  I've created a new, not-official, totally unsupported (unless you catch me in a good mood) base install cd.  I decided to call it the jc patchset.

Currently it has support for dvorak keymaps and can install a custom vaio-skas kernel (with built-in acpi support which should work for most vaios and anything else that needs acpi on bootup).  There are a few extra things that are needed upon install (most of them are documented).

The one big thing that isn't mentioned is that the vmlinuz image (if you decide to install the vaio kernel) isn't called /boot/vmlinuz, but /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-vaio-skas.  Just remember that when configuring grub/lilo.

Here's the link, until I can convince apeiro to give me my own directory on the ftp server... http://www.archlinux.org/~jason/arch-jc/

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#2 2003-11-10 18:48:10

kritoke
Website

Re: Arch 0.5 base install patchset jc

How easy is it to go about making a custom install cd for arch? I have thought about doing it several times, but I always get caught up doing something else because I am not totally sure how to do all the various things required to make the cd.  I know there is a post on this board somewhat talking about it, but it's not quite as useful as a good howto would be.

Kritoke

http://counter.li.org/ Registered Linux User #318963 kritoke@jabber.org

#3 2003-11-10 18:55:17

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It's moderatly easy.  Rebuilding an arch install cd is no problem.  If you know enough to handle bash scripts (or busybox sh scripts) then it's not too big of a deal.  You also need to know about initrds, syslinux, and basic boot procedures.

I doubt I'd write a howto, just because I generally do things more hackishly and don't need them clean  wink

Catch apeiro or I on IRC sometime and we might be able to help you out.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-11-10 21:11:58

nifan

i've benn thinking of making a costunm cd but only updating several packages i use, i dont need more costumizing than that. how could i make that? could you post here the topics or a mini-HOWTO. i belieave it would be very apreciate not only by me tongue

______
"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." - Plato

#5 2003-11-11 18:04:34

Jagged

tldp has an isolinux howto
google turns up some good hits as well

used them to create my pocketcd sized livecd

Nkawtg...n!

#6 2003-11-12 21:21:25

nifan

you didnt  folow what i want to do.
all i want is to have a more updated iso, and to do so all i need to do is to replace some of the packages and/or some files to put them there, so when installing from that iso i would have a system just like the one that i have doind pacman -Syu  tongue

______
"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." - Plato

#7 2003-11-13 10:10:07

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

nifan wrote:

all i want is to have a more updated iso, and to do so all i need to do is to replace some of the packages and/or some files to put them there, so when installing from that iso i would have a system just like the one that i have doind pacman -Syu  tongue

The basic idea is to (1) copy the whole Arch Linux CD into a folder on HD, (2) replace the packages with latest, (3) make a new package list and check / edit any scripts if needed (e.g. /arch/setup), (4) compile everything into an iso file with mkisofs command, and (5) burning CD.

Currently I don't have my computer with me (I am traveling) otherwise I could have given the details (especially the mkisofs formula). I will post later if needed.

Markku

Board footer