You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-22 10:27:01

Deyna

Systemd takes 100% of a single thread and will not allow shutdown

A few systemd updates ago I started to have this problem. On update, systemd takes up 100% of one of my four threads (switching theads on every so often according to Conky) and will not let me reboot properly. If I run "sudo poweroff" it broadcasts that the system is going down then just doesn't. No amount of waiting after the update is finished sees systemd finish whatever it's atempting to do.

Holding the power button to force the computer off causes it to be unbootable. The system hangs as it checks the file system. No amount of waiting sees the file system check completed.

So far the only "fix" that I've found is to load the system up in a ch-root environment and roll systemd back.

I really don't know enough to fix this myself and google searches have turned up seemingly similar problems who's fixes don't work in my case.

#2 2013-12-22 17:39:57

Stebalien
Website

Re: Systemd takes 100% of a single thread and will not allow shutdown

Anything in dmesg after updating? When you reboot, try replacing the quiet command line argument with verbose and see where systemd actually stops. Also, immediately after updating, try attaching strace to it (strace -p 1) and logging the output.

Regardless, this really sounds like a bug.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#3 2013-12-24 05:53:46

Deyna

Re: Systemd takes 100% of a single thread and will not allow shutdown

Stebalien wrote:

Anything in dmesg after updating? When you reboot, try replacing the quiet command line argument with verbose and see where systemd actually stops. Also, immediately after updating, try attaching strace to it (strace -p 1) and logging the output.

Regardless, this really sounds like a bug.

I couldn't find anything in dmesg. I grepped "systemd" and nothing strange showed up.

When booting verbosely the system prints "Welcome to Arch Linux" then hangs.
The newest installation media does the same thing so I'm going to have to find an older one to roll the package back. It doesn't hang on my laptop so it must be an issue with this netbook.

I couldn't find anything about systemd having issues with the atom N2600 and it's not old hardware so I doubt they've just dropped support.

Last edited by Deyna (2013-12-24 05:54:22)

Board footer