You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-22 12:32:48

firekage

Suspend to ram doesen't work

Hi. I would like to ask for your advice. I have problem with suspend to ram. In order to have nvidia drivers i had to install newest kernel, 3.12.xx. I found that suspend to ram doesen't work. I put my computer in sleep mode by typing

sudo systemctl suspend  

, everything works, computer goes in sleep mode but after resume from it, after wake up i have only black screen with unblinking cursor on the left upper corner of screen. I can't kill x, can't do anything in tty, only hard reset.

I removed nvidia drivers in order to check older kernel, and found that with nouveau drivers kernel 3.9 works, i can suspend and resume. I did another thing. I installed clean Arch, updated it with pacman -Syu, and installed nvidia drivers - the same problem with resuming from suspend. So on fresh and updated system i removed nvidia again, installed old kernel with nouveau - suspend works with resume.

Could somebody help me? Maybe you can point me to a solution? I would like to have nvidia drivers installed and working suspend with resume from suspend to ram.

I checked pm-suspend.log:

http://pastebin.archlinux.fr/478611

I don't see anything wrong here. I asked on polish site about kernel 3.12, and with Ubuntu they said it works. Why on Arch only kernel 3.9 works with resuming from suspend to ram and olny when there are no nvidia drivers (because they need new kernel, i could even use old but i'm not so exprienced to compile kernel myself, won't do that, and with downgrade script from AUR i didn't found nvidia driver for older kernels. There are old kernel, even 3.0.xx but only nvidia drivers from 325 that they need 3.12 kernel).

My spec is AMD X4 955, NVIDIA GTX260, 4GB ram. Arch is x32, kernel 3.12.5.1 (other don't work with resume too, only 3.9 with nouveau).

Last edited by firekage (2013-12-22 12:33:45)

#2 2013-12-23 21:35:16

firekage

Re: Suspend to ram doesen't work

I tried it again on a clean system without X, without gui, without desktop environement - KDE, only plain terminal. The same. If i have kernel 3.9.xx suspend to ram works, i can resume from suspend to ram, system works. If i have kernel aboce 3.9, newer, for an example: 3.10, 3.11, 3.12 also lts branch from AUR, without even having nvidia drivers, it hungs up after resume from suspend, black screen, i see cursor on tle upper left corner but it's not blinking. It stays. Only thing that i could do is hit the reset button cause i can't kill anything, cant switch to tty2-6 and so on. Nothing works.

Don't know what causes it because it was on a clean system.

#3 2013-12-24 23:13:57

firekage

I installed clean Arch again. Default kernel 3.12 - problem with resuming from suspend to ram. I installed trough yaourt downgrade. Downgraded linux to 3.9.8.1. Downloaded nvidia binary drivers, installed them, and rebooted my system. After reboot i tried suspending and resuming with old kernel and newest drivers (331.20). Works.

I still don't know why new kernel won't allow me to suspend to ram and resume from suspend to ram, only old, like 3.9. Could somebody point me?

#4 2013-12-25 00:44:27

lucke

#5 2013-12-25 01:25:59

firekage

I will try it, but i don't think that this "fix" will really help me - i installed newest driver, installed binary driver from nvidia website on kernel 3.9.8.1 and resuming from suspend to ram works. With newer kernel it just doesen't so if this would be a nvidia MSI problem than i would have it also on kernel 3.9.8.1 where i installed newest drivers ( i installed binary because i don't know which package from aur would work with this kernel, and on aur thare are only drivers from 325, no older).

Edit - just as i said. Doesen't work. It is not related to nvidia because it happens on nouveau. It is kernel fault.

Last edited by firekage (2013-12-25 02:25:34)

#6 2013-12-25 17:54:56

firekage

I checked some things again - i can suspend and resume on my Acer AOD 270. Kernel is 3.11.xx, driver for GMA 3600 is xf86-video-modesetting. Strange is that on my desktop i just can resume.

Board footer