You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-23 04:45:49

subverted

Need help with Arch on a UEFI problem

hello. big fan of Arch, been using it for a while now.. i got a new laptop and when i tried to install it on the lappy, it just wont take. everything goes smooth
as silk but no matter which bootstrapper i use be it gummiboot, grub, etc. it all says that the image is missing or incorrect. ive tried the install several
times with the same results. ive also tried other linux distros and half of them wont even boot off the cd! the only ones that would install properly is ubuntu
and mint.. and i HAAAAATE ubuntu. can anyone shed some light on what im doing wrong or missing?

#2 2013-12-23 04:55:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Need help with Arch on a UEFI problem

Please don't disparage other distros: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ng_Systems

You will need to provide more information: are you booted in UEFI mode for the install? Is it a standard install, or are you using encryption/LMV/btrfs etc?
Have you disabled Secureboot? etc. See How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2013-12-23 05:25:28

subverted

sorry, didnt mean to break the rules! yes i boot into UEFI mode.. its a regular install nothing special. i've followed the install guide to a T. the only problem i see to be having trouble with
besides the UEFI is that i use cfdisk to make my partitions and sometimes it screws up.. ive tried using gdisk but it thinks i have 2 hard drives and lists
their size incorrectly. my laptop is an hp 2000. maybe i should do like the guy in the other post and install an OS that will actually boot on it, like ubuntu
and just use it to boot up my arch?

#4 2013-12-23 06:13:52

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

subverted wrote:

ive tried using gdisk but it thinks i have 2 hard drives and lists their size incorrectly.

I'd try and get to the bottom of why that is happening. Sort that out and you will probably find everything else falls into place.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2013-12-23 13:45:53

smlb
Website

I advice you to use cgdisk instead of cfdisk, so your partition will be in GPT: cgdsik also can help you set the /boot under EFI.

Board footer