You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-23 21:07:23

slowpoke1584
Website

[solved]Blank screen when booting from disk for installation

Putting together a pc for a friend, and the screen goes blank immediately after the kernel loads from the installation disk. The pc is a desktop, with intel integrated graphics (no discrete gpu). I went to the bios and set it to defaults and the screen still goes black as soon as I get past the cds boot screen. I tried an old windows installation disk and the screen is fine, as well as when I checked the memory and tested the HDD with sea tools for DOS after wiping it. Anything linux gives me a blank screen. What options do I have here?

Last edited by slowpoke1584 (2013-12-23 21:31:58)

Registered Linux User #565082

#2 2013-12-23 21:31:32

slowpoke1584
Website

Re: [solved]Blank screen when booting from disk for installation

Troubleshooting boot problems
If you are using an Intel video chipset and the screen goes blank during the boot process, the problem is likely an issue with Kernel Mode Setting. A possible workaround may be achieved by rebooting and pressing e over the entry that you are trying to boot (i686 or x86_64). At the end of the string type nomodeset and press Enter. Alternatively, try video=SVIDEO-1:d which, if it works, will not disable kernel mode setting. You can also try i915.modeset=0. See the Intel article for more information.
If the screen does not go blank and the boot process gets stuck while trying to load the kernel, press Tab while hovering over the menu entry, type acpi=off at the end of the string and press Enter.

Sorry. Somehow overlooked this.

Registered Linux User #565082

Board footer