You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-24 20:49:59

Machione

[SOLVED] Failed to install override security policy

Hi,

I am trying to install Arch linux in UEFI in a dual boot setup with Windows 8.1. I already have the Windows OS installed, but every time I go to boot from the Arch installation CD I made using the latest .iso download (2013.12.01), I get the following:

ERROR
Failed to install override security policy: (14) not found

I hit return on the "OK", (the only available option), and the error reappears once again. After I hit return for a second time, the installation quits and I am returned to a normal Windows boot. This error happens right at the very start, I literally tell my computer to boot from the CD drive and then straight away the error appears.

I have tried the solution suggested here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=169354
(i.e. replacing the bootx64.efi with the loader.efi file (but renamed of course), in the EFI/BOOT/ directory of the iso), and I have tried using other versions of the iso (specifically 2013.10.01) as well as re downloading and re burning the most recent iso. All of these have been to no avail.

I am running an ASUS Sabbertooth 990FX (Rev 1.01), which I know to be an UEFI board. Also, I was able to install Windows 8.1 in UEFI just fine.

Any thoughts about what the problem may be?

PS: Merry Christmas to you all! smile

-Ryan

--- SOLUTION ---

Download the Arch Linux variant of rEFInd, from http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html. Then, install as per the instructions for you particular operating system and needs; follow the following: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html.

Reboot. Next time your computer starts, after the POST is completed, instead of booting into your normal operating system/boot loader, rEFInd should load instead. It will search for bootable media and operating systems automatically, and present you with a list of options. Choose the one corresponding to your CD/DVD/flash drive (depending on your installation medium). It should then boot in UEFI.

Once you are prompted with a command shell, type the commands:

# mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars              # ignore if already mounted
# efivar -l

If a list of variables is displayed, then you know you have succeeded in booting the installation media in UEFI!

Hope this helps some people...

Last edited by Machione (2014-01-10 21:32:05)

#2 2014-01-01 13:51:01

Machione

Re: [SOLVED] Failed to install override security policy

Hey guys,

Any thoughts about what the problem here might be? I still haven't been able to progress any further than where I got in the above post... I'd really like to get Arch Linux up and running as soon as possible.

Happy new year to you all.

-Ryan

#3 2014-01-02 00:21:12

buckeye1973

Hi,

Sorry I'm no help, I'm just here to say I'm going through pretty much the same thing. Asus M5A97 Evo, 120 Gb Kingston SSD. Previously had Windows 7 on the SSD. I don't care to dual boot, I just want to put Arch on there.

If I use the stock archlinux-2013.12.01-dual.iso and dd that to my USB, I get two boot options for that USB from the Asus UEFI BIOS utility. One is UEFI, the other isn't. If I pick UEFI, I got the same 'security policy' error. If I boot the other version it works and I can boot Arch, but if I do that then /sys/firmware/efi/efivars does not exist.

I tried the 'replacing the bootx64.efi with the loader.efi file' trick, but I must be doing something wrong in my mkisofs command because the result isn't bootable. I've been using:
mkisofs -R -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o /tmp/new.iso /tmp/iso
which I run from the iso directory, so the isolinux/ folder is there.

Something about Arch boot expecting checks for secure boot but this mobo doesn't do secure UEFI.

I'm going to try to just go totally non-UEFI I guess? I'll let you know.

Last edited by buckeye1973 (2014-01-02 03:28:48)

#4 2014-01-02 12:41:31

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Buckeye, Machione did you try disabling secure boot ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2014-01-02 15:16:32

Machione

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Buckeye, Machione did you try disabling secure boot ?

Thanks for the response Lone_Wolf.

I had a good old rummage through the "UEFI BIOS setup" for my motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth 990FX rev 1.01), and found no option to either disable nor enable Secure Boot, which I found rather odd, so I did some searching online and found this quote:

"I've recently bought an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, which is a uefi
motherboard.

Secure boot cannot be ENabled."
from: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.mageia.user/8143

Intrigued, I then done some more searching, and came to opening up Windows System Information, to see if I had Secure Boot enabled or not already. The result (as shown in the below screenshot), is that Secure Boot is "Unsupported", which means that my "PC does not support Secure Boot or is a Legacy (BIOS) installed Windows". Since I am running Windows already in UEFI, this means that my motherboard indeed does not support Secure Boot, and hence there is no need for me to disable it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3to4x7pcxctzz … enshot.jpg

I will send a quick email to ASUS to confirm this finding, but it certainly seems like Secure Boot is not an option that I have, and hence I have no need to disable it in the first place.

Thanks anyway for the response,

-Ryan

#6 2014-01-06 20:14:09

Machione

Hey,

Just to update you on the whole Secure Boot situation. It turns out that ASUS have confirmed that indeed my motherboard (Sabertooth 990FX rev1.01) does not support Secure Boot.

So, unfortunately that is not a viable solution. I am open to any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

-Ryan

#7 2014-01-06 20:32:15

alphaniner

This?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#8 2014-01-06 21:26:07

Machione

Hi alphaniner,

As I mentioned in my original post;

Machione wrote:

I have tried the solution suggested here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=169354
(i.e. replacing the bootx64.efi with the loader.efi file (but renamed of course), in the EFI/BOOT/ directory of the iso), and I have tried using other versions of the iso (specifically 2013.10.01) as well as re downloading and re burning the most recent iso. All of these have been to no avail.

I already tried the solution outlined in the discussion you linked to, but unfortunately it did not work for me.

As always, thanks for the suggestion, and any other proposed solutions are very much welcomed.

-Ryan

#9 2014-01-06 22:48:07

buckeye1973

I don't know about the Sabertooth, but for the Asus M5A97 I had the option of doing either uefi or bios boot. Since I couldn't get uefi working I just went with bios boot and moved on. I had been thinking that making uefi work was a necessity, turns out it wasn't.

#10 2014-01-10 16:29:34

Machione

buckeye1973 wrote:

I don't know about the Sabertooth, but for the Asus M5A97 I had the option of doing either uefi or bios boot. Since I couldn't get uefi working I just went with bios boot and moved on. I had been thinking that making uefi work was a necessity, turns out it wasn't.

Hi, sorry I wasn't able to reply to your response sooner buckeye. I know that I could do this, however since I have already went to the bother of installing Windows in UEFI, and since my motherboard supports UEFI so I can use GPT instead of MBR, which I would like; I want to make ever effort in solving this issue, rather than doing a work-around...

Thanks anyway, and I am glad to hear of your success with the issue...

As always, I am open to any suggestions whatsoever... I will download and attempt it again with the most recently released iso (2014/01/05), and report back...

Thanks again,
-Ryan

#11 2014-01-10 21:20:44

Machione

Hi everyone...

So, after download and burning the latest installation iso, to no avail, I seem to have come across a solution to this myself. I decided to give rEFInd Boot Manager a go (http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/), specifically the Arch Linux variant, since if I could boot the Arch Linux install CD through it, then it would have to be booted into UEFI, and it may not have the same security problems that seem to arise when I try to boot the CD through just my Motherboard. Anyway, I gave it a go, and it worked. I was able to run:

# efivar -l

which produced a whole list of variables, which I understand means that I successfully booted the install CD in UEFI!! Arch Linux, here I come! smile

I shall mark the post as solved, and include the above to my original post.

Thank you all for your help,

Kind Regards,
-Ryan

Board footer