You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-31 14:04:28

Blind Tree Frog

NETCTL-AUTO: Presisting profiles for PCMCIA cards

Currently installing Arch on an older HP-Compaq laptop. The internal wifi went flakey so a PCMCIA card was obtained.

I went through the beginner's install guide and followed most every step (they wrote it down so I don't need to remember it. I skipped the non-relevant steps). Networking was configured using 'netctl-ifplugd' for the ethernet port (dhcp) and 'netctl-auto' for the PCMCIA card (dhcp, open but hidden SSID). I then rebooted. A couple more reboots followed while I checked things and ran 'rfkill' to fix an issue. The summary of this is that I see both interfaces capable of getting IP addresses on reboot and traffic flows (YAY!!!).

The problem is that if I remove the PCMCIA card from the slot, the appropriate profile seems to be removed from netctl-auto. Prior to card removal, I can run 'ip addr' and see an ip address and 'netctl-auto list' and see the profile enabled. After removing the card and reinserting it, 'netctl-auto list' lists no profiles. Re-enabling it through systemctl and restarting the service does bring the profile back into the list as well as brings the wireless interface up, but I am not getting an IP address. Rebooting does resolve the issue, but that's not really a solution.

Any thoughts? The man page for netctl-auto wasn't terribly useful and internet searches aren't turning up much for me yet.

#2 2014-01-02 07:29:32

Blind Tree Frog

Re: NETCTL-AUTO: Presisting profiles for PCMCIA cards

I don't think it is related to netctl-auto dumping the profile, but I am occasionally (read as quite frequently) having to run 'rfkill unblock wifi' to make sure that i can actually bring the wifi interface up after reinserting the card and/or reboot.

It feels like a horrible hack, but currently I'm starting to figure that I just need to find a hook that can call a script after the card is inserted and run something like:

rfkill unblock wifi
ip link set dev wlp3s0 up
systemctl enable netctl-auto@wlp3s0.service
systemctl restart netctl-auto@wlp3s0.service

Last edited by Blind Tree Frog (2014-01-03 07:25:03)

Board footer