You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-03 05:33:58

drekalo

Gnome on fresh arch install. Cant get it to load right.

So i have done the proper install of ARCH linux.

I installed GNOME via pacman -S gnome

i also used pacman -Syy to sync packages and found gnome needed an update and is on my system up to date with proper nvidia drivers... (the nvidia window shows upon booting the gnome from xinit gnome-session)

it went good

upon typing "xinit gnome-session" it doesent go into the full desktop. it seems limited and a terminal is there labeled "Login" with a blinking cursor. (it is in the windows though, like there is a taskbar and applications, setting, etc. )  I cant change anything though it seems to be a test of the GNOME enviroment but IS GRAPHICAL

Ive searched whats going on it makes no sense to me, im just learning all of the commands and how to edit configurations/etc

Now my wifi is configured correctly my issue is purely getting into the full gnome DM/WM

So my question is why do i have a blinking line "_" after i type in "exec gnome-session" ? which i believe would be my full enviroment !!
after typing "xinit gnome-session" i get a seemingly limited and non-permanent or non-editable desktop environment ...
there is no file under xinit.conf which i understand is responsible for starting a desktop at boot of OS

I literally just need to know how to boot gnome in it full enitre functionality !!! please help me. ive had to reinstall the OS 5 times to get the partitioning and setup correct and now i just cant seem to find the full enivroment, startx causes the TEST Xorg environment with the clock and two windows... so im totally confused.

#2 2014-01-03 06:51:25

karol
Archivist

Re: Gnome on fresh arch install. Cant get it to load right.

Board footer