You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-07 02:20:13

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] magnetic tape software

HalosGhost wrote:
skottish wrote:

HalosGhost,

Would you mind if I use your PKGBUILD to replace what I put in the AUR? I have no intention of maintaining it, but I would like to leave something of higher quailty than what I did.

I actually just did a shotgun adoption, uploaded mine and orphaned it. It's there with both our names added on contributor lines. The one I uploaded, along with a copy of a bunch of other ones I've made are available on this repo of mine if anyone is interested in them.

All the best,

-HG

Much appreciated. Thanks.

#27 2014-01-07 02:52:00

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I think this would be better suited in AUR & PKGBUILDS, moving...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#28 2014-01-07 02:55:35

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

jasonwryan wrote:

I think this would be better suited in AUR & PKGBUILDS, moving...

Your administration is appreciated, as always!

All the best,

-HG

#29 2014-01-07 03:01:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

It was your call.

HalosGhost wrote:

Now, this thread might be better moved to the PKGBUILD Questions and Requests subforum.

I'm just the janitor. smile

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#30 2014-01-07 03:08:33

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

jasonwryan wrote:

It was your callrecommendation.

I'm just the janitorawesome one. cool

Fixed. tongue

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2014-01-07 03:10:33)

#31 2014-01-09 00:20:44

lateo

First thing first : i never expected Arch pkg building to be so straight forward. Think i'll play with this... :-)

Now to the mt pkgbuild feedback : so far (1 hour after initiating the erase operation of the “LTO3 - 800GB tape“) it looks ok!  \o/

Once more, thanks!

Notes to myself :
- Get and RTF hardware docs first... wasted at least 20 minutes with "read-only supported" LTO2 - 200/400GB tapes... :-/
- Gotta get an LTO4 tape next tongue

#32 2014-01-09 00:59:43

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

OT, but let me know how you go if you play with encryption. I believe the LTO4 spec includes hardware encryption support, but information about it seems scare for LInux users. I just bought one to 'rennovate' our backup system at work (still waiting for the SAS HBA so haven't been able to play yet) but at the moment it's looking like I'll need to pipe all writes through openssl to encrypt it on the host since I can't find much information about the hardware system.

All I've found thus far is the 'stenc' project, but it's documentation isn't great.

#33 2014-01-09 01:32:37

WonderWoofy

@OP, it seems as though your original issue is not solved.  If you are pleased with the result of this thread, please mark it as [Solved] which can be done by editing the first post.

#34 2014-01-09 11:27:45

lateo

WonderWoofy wrote:

@OP, it seems as though your original issue is not solved.  If you are pleased with the result of this thread, please mark it as [Solved] which can be done by editing the first post.

Well i still had no time to fully test the package, last post was an early feedback. Isn't it better to fully test it before closing the thread?
Sorry if it's taking too long, has said earlier i don't have much time to "play" at home ATM.
Don't know how you guys do stuff though, so just let me know :)

@fukawi:
I think openssl is (or will soon be) good enough with AES-NI capable processors these days :)
You could even think of adding (to the tape) a small encrypted container (truecrypt stuff for example) in which you hide a backup of the key needed to decypher the backup, just in case. (supposing you keep the tapes in a safe deposit).
I myself wouldn't bother with (most probably) proprietary and (possibly) non standard hardware solutions that may be a pain to deal with in the future. my 2 cents.

#35 2014-01-11 05:37:55

lateo

no problems found so far in most used options.
rewind, eject, seek forward or backwards within records, retension, erase...

for those interested, have a look at this old but almost complete post : http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost. … ostcount=2

nb: partitions, block level operations, density or compression management and other advanced stuff untested.

Last edited by lateo (2014-01-11 06:01:47)

#36 2014-01-12 22:16:53

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

lateo wrote:

I myself wouldn't bother with (most probably) proprietary and (possibly) non standard hardware solutions that may be a pain to deal with in the future. my 2 cents.

Yeah, I'm aiming to keep our backups using open/free tools where possible, primarily from an ease of restoration perspective in a DR situation. I figured I would need an LTO4 drive to read the tape anyway, and if the spec says LTO4 just support hardware encryption then whatever drive I get to read the tape will also be able to handle the decryption and it's a little less processing the actual backup host needs to do (ie, not having to do an openssl encrypt).

I'll have to play and see how I go with performance of each option.

#37 2014-01-12 23:19:31

lateo

fukawi2 wrote:

I'll have to play and see how I go with performance of each option.

I think performance won't be an issue : in the end, it is decided/limited by the speed of either the tape or the raid controler can deliver.
The CPU overhead might have been a problem on most machines a few years ago, i believe it isn't anymore, or only is in a few cases (but then maybe the problem lies with the machine being not powerfull enough for the job in the first place).

#38 2014-01-13 00:04:19

alphaniner

Hardware encryption is an optional feature in LTO4. I think there is always an LED indicator on the drive if it supports encryption.

Also, FTR, you can write directly to the drive using tar, and in my experience that's usually how it's done. While mt is used to space filemarks, there's also the nstX device which prevents rewind after an operation.

Last edited by alphaniner (2014-01-13 00:30:12)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#39 2014-01-13 02:51:07

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

alphaniner wrote:

Also, FTR, you can write directly to the drive using tar, and in my experience that's usually how it's done. While mt is used to space filemarks, there's also the nstX device which prevents rewind after an operation.

Yes, but for off-site copies of backups, the company policy is that it must be encrypted. My plan is to use a command like:

tar czf - /path/to/backups | openssl aes128 -salt -k "DerpPassword" | dd bs=4k of=/dev/nst0

#40 2014-01-13 03:33:16

alphaniner

@fukawi2

I was obliquely responding to OP's response to ewaller in post 7. Sorry for the confusion.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#41 2014-01-13 06:15:11

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

alphaniner wrote:

I was obliquely responding to OP's response to ewaller in post 7. Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, of course. Well I was just providing an example tongue

Board footer