You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-06 22:11:58

wolfdogg

rsync not copying symlink to smb mount - Operation not supported (95)

rsync is not copying symlinks to a samba mount share, which the filesystem is ntfs thats its actually trying to write it to.

i suspect i hvae the filesystem mounted wrong, or some kind of permission error. 

its mounted like this in /etc/fstab

//netbiosname.americas.domain.pvt/backup /mnt/smb/netbiosname/backup cifs credentials=/etc/netbiosname 0 0

rsync errors are coming back as
script looks like this

#!/bin/bash
rsync -a --delete /home/backup/snapshots /mnt/smb/netbiosname/backup/linux-hostname
rsync: symlink "/mnt/smb/netbiosname/backup/linux-hostname/snapshots/daily.2/localhost/home/user/packages/sendmail/src/sendmail-8.14.7/obj.Linux.3.12.3-1-ARCH.x86_64/vacation/vacation.c" -> "../../vacation/vacation.c" failed: Operation not supprted (95)
rsync: symlink "/mnt/smb/netbiosname/backup/linux-hostname/snapshots/daily.2/localhost/home/user/sites/website/bin/doctrine" -> "../vendor/doctrine/orm/bin/doctrine" failed: Operation not supported (95)
rsync: symlink "/mnt/smb/netbiosname/backup/linux-hostname/snapshots/daily.2/localhost/home/user/sites/website/bin/doctrine.php" -> "../vendor/doctrine/orm/bin/doctrine.php" failed: Operation not supported (95)
rsync: symlink "/mnt/smb/netbiosname/backup/linux-hostname/snapshots/daily.2/localhost/home/user/sites/website/node_modules/.bin/lessc" -> "../less/bin/lessc" failed: Operation not supported (95)
rsync: symlink "/mnt/smb/netbiosname/backup/linux-hostname/snapshots/daily.2/localhost/home/user/sites/website/node_modules/less/node_modules/.bin/cleancss" -> "../clean-css/bin/cleancss" failed: Operation not supported (95)

do i need to mount this with some kind of ntfs switch to get the symlinks to be able to be written, or is there a switch i can add to the rsync command to get these symlinks to copy over properly?  otherwise i have a useless backup..

Last edited by wolfdogg (2014-01-06 22:13:48)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2014-01-11 22:19:34

wolfdogg

Re: rsync not copying symlink to smb mount - Operation not supported (95)

anybody have any idea how i can get this to properly copy all my webfiles?  its complaining about not being able to copy the symlinked files, actually i just want it to copy the files that are in my webfiles directory.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#3 2014-01-12 13:33:57

jv2112

Check out the man page for rsync. There are a few switches for symlinks. I believe it does not copy by default.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. Isaac Asimov - / -

#4 2014-01-15 18:52:53

wolfdogg

thanks for the response, i did try some of the switches, the only one i really found applicable was the -L switch, which "transform symlinks into referent files"

i do see that some of the files i mentioned above, are indeed symlinks

lrwxrwxrwx  1 me users   39 Dec 16 06:17 doctrine.php -> ../vendor/doctrine/orm/bin/doctrine.php

i guess im not really sure what to do in this case.   i tried "-l" which just copies symlinks as well, and i believe i got the same error.  could it just be permission problems?

im not sure what

failed: Operation not supported (95)

is really trying to say, i.e. could it be more specific.  whats not supporting it, permission wise, filesystemwise, etc..

EDIT:

i think i know what the problem is.  im backing up to a windows machine, and its probably not allowing symlinks.  so i guess its a filesystem thing afterall.  does this sound correct?  i think what i will do is a low level tarball compression before it moves the files to the win machine.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2014-01-15 20:14:39)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#5 2014-01-15 20:54:58

wolfdogg

should i look into duplicity, or should i just tarball my backups on the one system thats using rsnapshot, then rsync those to the remote windows machine?
heres my arcitecture

linux server runs rsnapshot and places files in /home/backup (daily x7, and hourly times twice per day)
rsync twice daily syncs this to a remote backup (win)
(symlinks of my webfiles directories are not copying over, so its not a valid turn-key backup as far as im concerned)

--what if i change this up a bit to ;

linux server runs rsnapshot and places files in /home/backup (daily x7, and hourly times twice per day)
crop job compresses each daily and hourly separely into one subdir /home/backup/compressed for e.g.
rsync twice daily syncs compressed files to a remote backup (win), this way it will only move the touched file, as opposed to the entire archive of backups

--alternatively, i can use duplicity, but im not sure how long that will take to set up properly on a task that i hvae already spent too much company time on. 

granted backups are almighty important. 

--  alternatively again,
what if i just tarball the backups to the remote, but then it will always be slamming new data unecessary unless somebody knows a command that i dont for tarballing/gzip.

thanks for any info.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2014-01-15 20:58:16)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer