You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-06 22:30:27

stratacast1

Install Arch over Mint on laptop

So I decided to dabble with Arch in Virtualbox and now I've decided that I want to install my .iso of Arch over my Mint partition. So I know there is a tutorial on the wiki on how to make my version into an .iso which shouldn't be an issue for me, but I just want to verify with you folks if I'll be doing this right on my laptop.

I have 3 partitions right now on a 750GB HDD:
500(ish)GB Windows 7 partition (sadly, it can't be shrunk anymore)
15GB to a recovery partition for Windows
then 100(ish)GB remaining for Linux Mint 16

My thoughts are to back up any data I want to keep and should I just load up my .iso from a flash drive and install Arch like I would have in a VM? Would cfdisk show all my partitions and give me the chance to just erase my current Linux partition? Not sure how I should go about all of this...or would it be best just to redo the process from scratch? All I have installed really is the base Arch install, alsa, and XFCE.

EDIT:

Edited to avoid confusion on my 100GB Linux partition

Last edited by stratacast1 (2014-01-06 23:00:38)

#2 2014-01-06 22:37:47

karol
Archivist

Re: Install Arch over Mint on laptop

You can just use the stock Arch iso.
How are you expecting to have 2 Linux systems on one partition? I don't recall our wiki saying you could do anything like this :-) Create a new partition, format it and install arch in there.

#3 2014-01-06 22:50:23

stratacast1

karol wrote:

You can just use the stock Arch iso.
How are you expecting to have 2 Linux systems on one partition? I don't recall our wiki saying you could do anything like this :-) Create a new partition, format it and install arch in there.

Okay I'll do that! I meant to say that I'll be reformatting my Linux Mint partition and putting Arch there instead wink I could have sworn I read something like that, or at least somewhere on the internet..but either way, I think I'll just do what you said! I think it'd be great to try installing Arch for the 4th time haha! Helps me memorize how to use the OS better!

Since I'll be running Arch on the actual machine rather than a VM, will I eventually have to install drivers for my wireless NIC? I was thinking I'd install Arch on a wired connection so I didn't have to worry about my slow download speeds

#4 2014-01-06 22:53:34

karol
Archivist

Yes, use wired connection for install.
The thread's title says you're going to install Arch over Mint, but in the post you said you want them side-by-side.

#5 2014-01-06 22:59:27

stratacast1

karol wrote:

Yes, use wired connection for install.
The thread's title says you're going to install Arch over Mint, but in the post you said you want them side-by-side.

Oops! I'll reword that! I meant to say I did a side by side install with Linux Mint and Windows at first, but want to remove Mint for Arch.

#6 2014-01-06 23:02:12

karol
Archivist

Ah, OK :-)
Just make sure you format the right partition.

Board footer