You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-08 18:15:27

teateawhy
Website

pacman-mirrorlist package

Would be nice if the package 'pacman-mirrorlist' was an optional dependency for pacman instead of depending on pacman. That way it could be removed more easily.
New installations are not affected by this change, as the initial mirrorlist is copied from the host system by pacstrap. Installing the package manually is trivial.
What do you think?

#2 2014-01-08 18:18:47

WonderWoofy

Re: pacman-mirrorlist package

I was thinking about this when the pacman-mirrorlist was updated yesterday.  The only problem is that pacman would have to start including /etc/pacman.d since that is currently owned by just pacman-mirrorlist.  Though maybe it would still be created with the initalization of pacman-key?  I'm not sure.

Maybe making it an optional dep, but including it in the base package group would be a good thing.  The inclusion of /etc/pacman.d in the pacman packae would be no problem.

I think that you should open a bug report for this though...

#3 2014-01-08 18:37:12

progandy

In the current state you could create a package that "provides" pacman-mirrorlist and use that instead.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2014-01-08 18:42:56

alphaniner

Lazy solution is to put it in IgnorePkg or put the mirrorlist in NoExtract. Even though the package is still downloaded in the latter case, I prefer it for the lack of nagging.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2014-01-08 18:54:24

Raynman

teateawhy wrote:

That way it could be removed more easily.

Why would you want to remove it? Because you use a tool to generate a mirrorlist? Can't you just ignore the .pacnew file then, or would pacman complain the next time the package gets upgraded? I guess an optional dep in the base group sounds good then.

Last edited by Raynman (2014-01-08 19:00:13)

#6 2014-01-08 19:22:28

teateawhy
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

I was thinking about this when the pacman-mirrorlist was updated yesterday.  The only problem is that pacman would have to start including /etc/pacman.d since that is currently owned by just pacman-mirrorlist.  Though maybe it would still be created with the initalization of pacman-key?  I'm not sure.

Maybe making it an optional dep, but including it in the base package group would be a good thing.  The inclusion of /etc/pacman.d in the pacman package would be no problem.

I think that you should open a bug report for this though...

pacman-key should create the directory at this line:

[[ -e ${PACMAN_KEYRING_DIR} ]] || mkdir -p -m 755 "${PACMAN_KEYRING_DIR}"

Still, including the directory in the pacman package is a good idea.

alhpaniner wrote:

Lazy solution is to put it in IgnorePkg or put the mirrorlist in NoExtract.

I have chosen this method for now, thanks.

Raynman wrote:

Why would you want to remove it?

Personally, i have no use for it, and it generates .pacnew files.

Raynman wrote:

I guess an optional dep in the base group sounds good then.

Board footer