You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-10 07:59:17

chsims1

IR Head Tracking .. OpenTrack/FTNoIR

Hi All,

does anyone have any experience of the OpenTrack fork of FTNoIR.  This offers a compilable linux version of the windows only FTNoIR software that allows the user to use head movements to "look around" in game.  The hardware needed is pretty simple (webcam and three positioned LEDs on a headset/cap, but potentially could make games much more immersive. I was actually quite surprised that there was not more linux support given the popularity of 'flightgear.'

#2 2014-06-14 03:15:05

tklee

Re: IR Head Tracking .. OpenTrack/FTNoIR

Since this is not in AUR, here's a quick note for those who want to try it out:

To compile:

$ git clone https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack
$ cd opentrack
$ cmake CMakeLists.txt

To run:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./opentrack

The PointTrack was able to access my webcam and show a tracking preview, but since I don't have the LEDs nor the filter-removed webcam to test, I can't get it to successfully track my head.

I can't get the HT to work. Nothing happened even after I specified the webcam info.

Hopefully somebody with the hardware can give it a try.

#3 2014-06-14 07:01:42

chsims1

It (opentrack) works quite well actually if a little fiddly, but I have exchanged it for a more elegant solution using a accelerometer/gyro chip coupled to an arduino to play the forthcoming Elite Dangerous.  Windows only at the moment, but it is early days.  For anyone interested, the link to the "EDTracker" is here

#4 2014-06-14 22:59:14

tklee

Thanks for sharing. The Arduino route seems very interesting, but isn't wearing a whole breadboard on the head very awkward?

I'm hoping for the NoIR part to come to Linux. In Windows, it does work well with just a webcam, although just as your said, is a bit fiddly.

#5 2014-06-15 08:38:40

chsims1

Yes, a breadboard would be a little awkward, but I have a nice little daughterboard which is pretty small, and when boxed up and attached to my headphones, it is no more cumbersome than a Delan Clip.

Board footer