You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-11 00:51:25

xer01ne

Booting ISO from Grub2 without Loopback support

I am trying to boot an archlinux install ISO from grub2 menu, but I have no loopback support.  I am not sure how I got to this point, but I installed Ubuntu first (just to test out the system and make sure that UEFI works fine.  Then I booted the ISO file just fine, (I used grub-config to modify the bootup).  During the install, I used cgdisk to redo my partition tables.  After that, cgdisk said something about the partitions not taking effect until I rebooted... after reboot, I now get the grub console and nothing else.  UEFI bios will not allow booting USB, so the only way I can do this is via this grub console.

The only things I did were; create a new partition at the end of the drive to store my ISO file and mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2... The UEFI partition is still intact from ubuntu (i did not format that one).

I tried following this guide, http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=rescueboot ,but it wasn't successful.

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,4)'
linux /arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz boot=live findiso=/archlinux-2014.01.05-dual.iso toram
initrd /arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img

When I try to set the linux variables, i get an error that says /arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz cant be found.

I tried putting a livecd onto a usb drive, but when I get all of the parameters set and type boot, it just reboots the machine and goes right back to the grub console. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2014-01-11 01:02:37

WonderWoofy

Re: Booting ISO from Grub2 without Loopback support

I really don't understand why you would go find some random guide and not check our wiki.

#3 2014-01-11 01:41:12

xer01ne

Re: Booting ISO from Grub2 without Loopback support

That is where I started initially, however, the grub2 console doesn't have loopback support.  (therefor I can't use the loopback command.)

Board footer