You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-11 22:49:04

nrobidoux

UEFI boot w/ Syslinux

I've been doing searches which have been yielding little results. I come to the forum after many many... many... and many more hours of trying to setup two systems. I basically have one down (until I try and do a remote X session on system #2) and thought I had the second all set. I installed/prepared it (installation #2) on my netbook... then moved it over to my new computer. (It's on a USB stick.) Nothing.... Tried installation #1 on a stick... nothing... Tried a 3rd stick with an old installation.... nothing.

Finally dawned on me, my Asrock Fata1ity Killer Z87 MB uses UEFI. More searching.... typed in what the wiki said. Oops need a package. Drive to library to get wifi, get package, reboot..... I still have no /sys/firmware/efi.... directory. Where does it come from? How do I get it on my computer?

I have the efibootmgr (and efivar, due to dependancy) package. Still no go.

What am I missing?

Thanks

#2 2014-01-11 22:59:13

teateawhy
Website

Re: UEFI boot w/ Syslinux

nrobidoux wrote:

Oops need a package. Drive to library to get wifi, get package, reboot..... I still have no /sys/firmware/efi.... directory. Where does it come from? How do I get it on my computer?
I have the efibootmgr (and efivar, due to dependancy) package. Still no go.
What am I missing?

The efivars directory can only show up if you have booted in UEFI mode, and even then it is sometimes necessary to manually mount the evifarfs.
To boot in UEFI mode, it takes a little more than installing a package. The bootloader must be set up accordingly.
At first prepare a usb stick with archiso on it, following this page and boot it on your computer.
Also read UEFI before you start.

Last edited by teateawhy (2014-01-11 23:00:39)

Board footer