You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-12 12:07:56

ManFrommArch

[SOLVED] Lvm HOOK, what string?

In the wiki about LVM, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LV … tcpio.conf it can be read that you should do the following:

Add lvm hook to mkinitcpio.conf

You'll need to make sure the udev and lvm2 mkinitcpio hooks are enabled.

udev is there by default. Edit the file and insert lvm2 between block and filesystem like so:

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

HOOKS="base udev ... block lvm2 filesystems"

Afterwards, you can continue in normal installation instructions with the create an initial ramdisk step.

Then if i open the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf it is a line commented looking like this: HOOKS="base udev block lvm2 filesystems"

Then, what string should i set the hook variable to? "base udev block lvm2 filesystems" or something more? I do not understand if i should add something, and end up with:

HOOKS="base udev /dev/sda2 block lvm2 filesystems"  because my lvm partition on the physical drive is /dev/sda2 or something else?

Probably I need to read up on mkinitcpio and hooks but some basic info about what is going on is very appriciated. A lot of thing i encounter now when im installing arch is new to me and I have been trying to setup my system now for a week:P Started out by just following a guide, but that turned out to be a bad idea, its probably better to read the whole wiki first. I like the wiki a lot, its better than most information i find while googling the same topics.

However, I just wish i could get my system setup at this point and then graduatly learn more about all techniqueus involved, thank you:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What i need is probably just: "base udev block lvm2 filesystems" and something additional for crypto, I will update this topic when i get everything working

Last edited by ManFrommArch (2014-01-12 13:15:16)

#2 2014-01-12 13:11:22

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [SOLVED] Lvm HOOK, what string?

There are no hook variables, "lvm2" is the only thing you need to add. I suggest you read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio  Also you might want to drop in on irc.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2014-01-12 13:14:28)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2014-01-12 13:16:20

ManFrommArch

Re: [SOLVED] Lvm HOOK, what string?

Thank you, I will get in on irc as soon as I get my system up and running:P

Last edited by ManFrommArch (2014-01-12 13:19:44)

Board footer