You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-12 19:19:09

Rexilion

SystemD disable hibernate

Hibernate does not work on this laptop. I want to disable it.

I already did

systemctl mask hibernate.target

This disables hibernate but not entirely. It seems that it still runs some pre hibernate prepartion work. It does still shutdown my NetworkManager (fast asleep). Anyone got a better idea?

fs/super.c : "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n",

#2 2014-01-12 19:39:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: SystemD disable hibernate

Rather than try to mask the target - why not just shut off whatever is hibernating the machine?  There is not need to "disable" hiberating, just don't run the hibernate command, it will not run by itself unless you have installed something else that runs it.

If you want to disable a hibernate key on your keyboard, that's in /etc/logind.conf

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-01-13 07:33:45

Rexilion

Well, since the advent of SystemD I was wondering if there was a nice and effective way of doing this.

Yes, under Gentoo I did:

chmod 644 /usr/sbin/s2disk

But at least pm-utils would restore NetworkManager. SystemD fails at that. I don't want to users to get punished for the fact that Linux does not support hibernate on this machine.

It still bothers me why NetworkManager is disabled altough I masked hibernate.target.

I think I should look at upower instead of SystemD...

Thanks

#4 2014-01-13 08:36:05

Rexilion

NetworkManager still goes down if I click 'hibernate' in LightDM if I use a polkit policy file. Ow well.

#5 2014-01-13 12:19:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Huh?  You don't want your system to hibernate, but you intentionally hit the "hibernate" button?  This makes no sense.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2014-01-13 13:36:14

Rexilion

I'm not the sole user of this laptop. So in the case I forget to mention it, it will not work. That's why. And to be honest, since my desktop died the habit of hibernating did not die with it.

#7 2014-01-13 13:53:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I may just leave this be and perhaps someone else can help - but as no one else is responding yet, I'll elaborate a bit: I still don't get it.

I don't see how the number of users is relevant.  What do you want to acheive?  Do you want to get hibernate working, or do you want to just prevent users from trying to hibernate?  If the latter, assuming they don't have super user access, then all you need to do is stop whatever mechanisms you set up to initiate the hibernation - again a base arch install does not hibernate by itself ... ever.

You've installed something that hibernates.  Either uninstall it, or configure it to do what you really want.  If there is an on screen hibrenate button that users can click that you'd like to disable, other forum users can only help with that if you describe what that button belongs to.  This is why my first response suggested not trying to mask the hibernate target, but rather just get rid of whatever it is that is trying to trigger that target.  As your own results show, the hibernate target is not responsible for the network going down - this is a separate action taken by whatever tool is also trying to initaite the hibernation.

This really becomes an X-Y problem as you've pre-determined (I suspect wrongly) that the systemd hibernate.target is the cause of the undesirable behavior.  This leaves nowhere to go.  If instead, you simply describe the undesirable behavior, and ask for input on how to change it, you will likely get much more productive input.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-01-13 13:54:37)

Board footer