You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-13 14:45:57

zaffy

systemd sometimes doesn't shutdown

I have Mate desktop and Slim installed:

halt_cmd            /sbin/systemctl poweroff -i
reboot_cmd        /sbin/systemctl reboot -i

like this, when I request shutdown all applications exit and then slim restart and shutdown is stopped ?
However when I add --force to this command it looks like everything works; but is there a way to send SIGTERM and wait for all processes to end ? because with force they will be killed immediately with SIGKILL and won't wait for them.

First i thought some application suppressed shutdown so I added the -i to ignore all inhibitors but no luck.

Thanks  in advance.

#2 2014-01-13 19:48:36

WonderWoofy

Re: systemd sometimes doesn't shutdown

You need to provide more information.  What is making the shutdown/reboot fail?

#3 2014-01-13 20:48:01

hussam
Website

Do you see a message along the lines of "application something did not stop" at the end of the shutdown process?

#4 2014-01-13 21:07:25

zaffy

WonderWoofy wrote:

You need to provide more information.  What is making the shutdown/reboot fail?

I'm sorry but If I knew what is causing the problem I wouldn't ask here.

hussam wrote:

Do you see a message along the lines of "application something did not stop" at the end of the shutdown process?

No, nothing sad

Edit: Now I noticed that there's "watchdog didn't stop", also there are some other entries but it happens so quickly that I couldnt read that correctly. I messed the watchdog first time because Iof the slim that kept my tty and didn't allow me to see messages. Is there a way I can log those messages and read them later ?

Last edited by zaffy (2014-01-13 22:56:39)

#5 2014-01-13 23:02:18

WonderWoofy

Look in your logs for something out of the ordinary.  With what you have provided here, no one else can even begin to diagnose your issue.  So you have come to the forums here and posted without complete information.  You first need to gather all the necessary information.

If you go back and read your post, you'll see that you have basically said as much as "shutdown doesn't work unless I add the --force flag".  There is not even a mention of the software that might be running in your normal usage patterns.

I'm not asking you to go and find a solution on your own here.  I'm just asking you to see if there are any error messages in the logs during the time of failed shut down.

Board footer