You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-13 19:37:29

Jatra

[SOLVED]Nano can't find some files to edit > Locate can't find ...

Hi! You've maybe heard this thousand times before, but I'm new to Arch Linux and Unix commands, so this is maybe stupid question and bla bla bla... but that's why there's Newbie Corner, right? I'm running Arch with LXDE on quite old and tired HP desktop, if that's important.

So, I'd like to have terminal right on my desktop, like hard core linux guys do. I googled a bit and found some how-tos. Tried to find file autostart.sh for openbox, didn't find it with command line nether graphical file browser, so I created one with nano to /home/user/.config/openbox folder, that's allright? After that, I'd like to edit rc.xml file. There's no such file (or at least I could't find one), so I tought that the file lxde-rc.xml in same folder is my target - graphical browser shows me that folder, Nano don't. Still on the map? BUT, there's where a problem occured - if I try to open the file for editing with Nano, there's just blank file. Tried several times, so it's not up to some misspelling or anything like that. There's been similar situations before, so is there something wrong with my installation, filesystem or Nano? I tried command 'locate' too, and it didn't work, too. What am I supposed to do?

And notice that question is about the Nano thing, Lxterminal on desktop isn't so important compared to undestandin my system tools and their behavior.

Last edited by Jatra (2014-01-15 18:47:31)

#2 2014-01-13 19:54:36

β ™

Re: [SOLVED]Nano can't find some files to edit > Locate can't find ...

I hope you aren't trying to edit a directory instead of a file? Can you show us a few examples (exactly as they are; command by command) of what you have been doing there recently?

#3 2014-01-13 20:08:56

Jatra

When tried to edit lxde-rc.xml, i typed command sudo nano /home/my username/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml to lxterminal, is this wrong way? Using this kind of commands I've managed to configurate things like mirrorlist and so on.

Edit: Because of the same problem I haven't been able to edit some files that should allow me to boot straight to lxdm. Currently I have to login on console and then command lxde to start. There is some other issues about that thing too, but think I should study some more and start a new thread if needed.

Last edited by Jatra (2014-01-13 20:12:58)

#4 2014-01-13 20:10:42

ploub

BTW locate isn't installed by default, try the mlocate package.

#5 2014-01-13 20:14:43

Jatra

Allready installed, and it works mostly fine. I'm not sure, but I think that the issue isn's beacause of the dotted files or things like that, 'cause some dotted finds are finely found by locate.

#6 2014-01-13 20:19:01

vanquish

1.) Archlinux is a slim installing distribution. Only essential/necessary things will be installed. So if a file does not exist just create it.
In your case I think you have forgotten to copy the pre-config files. Just copy them:
mkdir -p ~/.config/openbox
cp /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml ~/.config/openbox/
cp /etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml ~/.config/openbox/
2.) lxde-rc.xml is not the same as rc.xml!
3.) Autostart file should be named just autostart not autostart.sh. If there is none just create one.
3.) Have a closer look on this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/op … figuration
https://wiki.archlinux.de/title/Openbox (Ref. 1.))

#7 2014-01-13 20:51:06

Jatra

Thanks! I got to get more familiar with the way that thing works...

Managed to create those files and edit 'em with Nano, following that http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=355. For some reason there's still no Lxterminal on my wallpaper, but this thing still works, so kind of succes I think. By the way, for some reason there's a xorg window with some text hanging on my desktop, if closed, Lxde session ends... I don't know if that have something to do with my other problems.

#8 2014-01-13 21:32:21

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch has complete documentation on the Arch Wiki: if you are using Archbang, please ask for support on their boards.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2014-01-14 04:55:57

Jatra

I'm using Arch Linux, openbox is installed afterwards with Lxde. I thought that Arch with openbox should act the same way as ArchBang? Except, the instruction is maybe for OpenBox only, while I have LXDE desktop, if that's the problem.

I'm trying to study Arch wiki, but some things are not too simple to understand as a beginner.

#10 2014-01-14 09:07:22

β ™

• Why are you using sudo when editing user files?

• Why are you editing anything in openbox directory if you are running LXDE?

#11 2014-01-14 14:16:29

Jatra

β ™ wrote:
  • Why are you using sudo when editing user files?

Yes, that's stupid. Maybe that's because I don't exactly know, which files I'm able to edit without sudo. Everything in folder /home?

• Why are you editing anything in openbox directory if you are running LXDE?

I know that LXDE uses Openbox as a windowmanager, so that's why. Is that files in the Openbox directory are only for pure Openbox-session, and then other Openbox directories for LXDE-Openbox-session?

Do that all sounds like I should reinstall everything except base packages for Arch and start over with some more education, or is it worth learning to try to configure my current system... Jet there is not too much stuff insalled after the base system, only Lxde, office and Chrome browser.

#12 2014-01-14 14:40:06

drcouzelis
Website

Jatra,

I don't see any reason for you to reinstall Arch Linux. Your current installation is fine.

If your problem is solved ("Nano can't find some files to edit") then please use the "Edit" button on your first post to add "[SOLVED]" to the title.

If you have another question, please search the Arch Wiki, search the forums, and search Google. If you still need help, please open a new thread on the Arch Linux forums with your question. And be very very detailed and specific when asking your question. We be happy to help you find an answer to it. smile

...also, if you want to be like the "hard core Linux guys", I'm sorry, you have to use Vim instead of Nano. wink

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-01-14 14:41:15)

#13 2014-01-14 14:50:06

Jatra

Sorry my typo, meant to uninstall everything else than basesystem, to be sure that there is nothing thats not as they should... but maybe I continue with my current setup and learn more about it. And yes, the original problem is kind of solved, so this thread done it's job. Thank you!

Next I'll google Vim... big_smile

Edit: No, this is not solved. I can't understad, why locate command can't find some things. It seems to be very powerful searching almost everything from system, if i type f.ex locate bin, it founds everything that contains letters bin, but typing locate lxde gives nothing - and for sure there is lot of things about lxde. What is this?

Last edited by Jatra (2014-01-14 15:07:17)

#14 2014-01-14 15:24:23

drcouzelis
Website

Did you update the mlocate database? Do you know what the "locate" command does?

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-01-14 15:24:55)

#15 2014-01-14 15:29:06

Slithery
Administrator

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locate

Last edited by Slithery (2014-01-14 15:30:21)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#16 2014-01-14 15:33:24

Jatra

Don't know what that exactly do, know only that the output makes it easier for me to find current locations.

And no, I didn't update the database after latest modifications, and yes, updating database is answer to my problem. Simple as that, sorry for stupid mistake. Solved, thank you!

Board footer