You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-13 21:34:12

12padams

Target not found for some stuff, Multilib enabled and updated

------Skipable----
Hey everyone, I've got a problem that I just can't seem to solve. Basically I have a youtube channel with almost 20,000 subs where I look at different operating systems (not going to mention it's name here since that's advertisement). All my videos feature heavy editing and look at each operating system in a repetitive manner so I decided to do a new side project on a new channel.

The idea for my new channel/series "Adventures in Arch Linux" is as follows:

"Adventures in Arch Linux is a series that lets you experience me going from a minimal Arch Linux installation to a bloated installation full of software with heaps of desktop customizations and well... Everything! Everything you see is unscripted, unplanned and uncut. This means that every failure, success and reaction I make throughout the journey will be on camera and captured within each episode. I will be taking suggestions in each episode of what software I should add to arch Linux and try out on camera so you can see my unacted first impressions of all available software for Arch Linux."
------End Skipable----

The issue however I found was that I was constantly running into problems and by the time I finished filming my first 50 minute episode I realized what a mess the video was and feel like I've completely failed. I managed to install LXDE as the desktop environment but I was unable to download and install any screen recorders. I tried typing "sudo pacman -S vokoscreen" but nup, Target not found. I tested and saw that inkscape worked but none of the screen recorders and quite a bit of other software just gave me "Target not found".

I researched stuff like multilib and enabling that but it still didn't work. I just don't know what to do sad The first episode (0) is just a disaster (unless you call an arch noob stumbling around trying to figure out how to do stuff in arch without a screen recorder a good video)... I'm at a lose as to what I should do.

Do any of you know what went wrong? You can see where this error happened a little after 35:10 in this video where I first started talking about installing vokoscreen. (Note that I am really embarrassed about how badly this video turned out): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCQwCEGrlk

#2 2014-01-13 21:37:37

loafer

Re: Target not found for some stuff, Multilib enabled and updated

One of the examples you give, vokoscreen, is in the AUR.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2014-01-13 22:00:55

12padams

loafer wrote:

So what does that mean? I should or shouldn't be able to access vokoscreen by typing pacman -S vokoscreen?

#4 2014-01-13 22:06:32

loafer

12padams wrote:
loafer wrote:

So what does that mean? I should or shouldn't be able to access vokoscreen by typing pacman -S vokoscreen?

Not with that command.  The idea is you build the package using makepkg then install it with pacman.  Take a look at the AUR Wiki page etc.  It's all well documented.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#5 2014-01-13 22:07:22

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR

If you are going to make videos about Arch, the least you could do is some reading up on how it works.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2014-01-13 22:12:36

12padams

Thanks guys I'll look into this smile

That's why I called the first episode "0". Because it's full if noob failure and not meant to be watched.

Just a last question though, are packages from the AUR safe or are some potentially dangerous?

#7 2014-01-13 22:47:47

anonymous_user

They are potentially dangerous:

DISCLAIMER
Unsupported packages are user produced content. Any use of the provided files is at your own risk.

#8 2014-01-14 00:01:34

phillips1012
Website

12padams wrote:

Just a last question though, are packages from the AUR safe or are some potentially dangerous?

Yes, they can be dangerous or unstable, as it is created by users, but the odds of having problems with malicious software on the AUR are the same as managing to get a virus off of github.

#9 2014-01-14 00:06:45

xtraroot

anonymous_user wrote:

They are potentially dangerous:

DISCLAIMER
Unsupported packages are user produced content. Any use of the provided files is at your own risk.

That said, it's moderated and you can and should verify the sources of the pkgbuild yourself.

Really what it means is the source is not from an official mirror, so the source could theoretically have some malware no one knew about. But even then, the package would be removed once that was discovered.

#10 2014-01-14 07:03:32

karol
Archivist

Next time use https://www.archlinux.org/packages/ to see if the package does exist. If not, have a look at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages

#11 2014-01-14 08:08:25

frank604

Hey, welcome to Arch and the forums.  I applaud your willingness to explore Arch.  Giving your mother a base install of arch without anything was just mean smile  Here are some thoughts that might help with your new video series.

1. Arch has a bit of a learning curve.  Nothing is setup.  I repeat, nothing is setup.  All packages are vanilla or as close to vanilla.  This means, you will need to restrategize your approach in making a video while you explore.  Why do I say this?  Because most of the time you will be reading the wiki in learning how things work through concept explanations or command explanations.  Your challenge is to capture your unscripted response but make it fun for the viewer.

2. How about you get your feet wet first.  If you don't understand what the difference is between pulling a package via pacman from the arch repos vs pulling through the AUR (arch user repository), I'm taking a wild guess that your feet are very dry.  Maybe record yourself as you are doing but do some major cutting.  For example, keep all these video journals of yourself setting up your system and at the end you can show off a 'bloated' environment.  Then transition to "it wasn't pretty getting to this phase, here are some scenes of my frustration" and then show where you failed.  I'm just tossing out ideas here.  On a side note, learn how to install packages from AUR manually without a aur helper.  It will help in the long run.

3. Use the forum search feature as well as reading the wiki.  I'm sure I read some good threads on here that were full of suggestions to new comers in understanding arch.  As a test run, maybe search for it?

4. Read the forum etiquette and ask smart questions.  Arch is my first full-time distro and boy, I learned heaps from these forum guys/gals.  They are also bad ass when it comes to bad forum etiquette. Rightfully so.

Edit: added 'gals'.

Last edited by frank604 (2014-01-14 08:10:03)

Board footer