You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-13 23:53:11

MongooseOfPower

[SOLVED] Arch will not boot all the way after update

Hey all,

I feel really stupid about this one, but I really need some help.

Today I updated my system and eventually during that session I decided to turn off the computer using "shutdown -h 0". This resulted in an error. I tried simply "reboot", but got the same message. I stupidly did not write down the message and then even more stupidly just held down the power button to turn the computer off thinking that I could boot back in later, get the same message, and deal with it then.
However, when I booted up, I was confronted with a screen telling me that "/dev/sda3" was recovering, the orphaned sectors, and the fact that sda3 is clean. All of it seemed to be expected after an improper shutdown, but it won't boot any further. I tried turning it off and on again a couple times, but it is still stuck on that screen. It doesn't describe the orphans anymore, but it still says it is recovering the journal.

I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. I did look for posts concerning the recent update and found this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1370237, but I don't know if I have the same problem.

Last edited by MongooseOfPower (2014-01-14 01:23:43)

#2 2014-01-13 23:59:44

xtraroot

Re: [SOLVED] Arch will not boot all the way after update

Chroot into your system and check the logs of journalctl from your last startup, then check them for anything weird or post the output here for someone to look at.

#3 2014-01-14 00:17:42

MongooseOfPower

Thank you for the reply.

After waiting on that screen for at least 20 minutes, It started displaying systemd[1] errors. If it would be helpful I could type them all out, but they are all just Dependency or Time out fails.
After a while it displayed a welcome to emergency mode greeting and after a couple minutes finally let me give the root password. I straight out tried "journalctl -xb" which responded with:

journalctl: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.20: cannot open shared object file: No such file of directory

Periodically I am now getting this error:

systemd[1]: Failed to start Trigger Flushing of Journal to Persistent Storage.

#4 2014-01-14 00:35:31

WonderWoofy

Use live media to boot, then mount your rootfs.  Use 'pacman -Syu --root /path/to/mounted/rootfs' to update.  The new version of libgcrypt should be there now.

#5 2014-01-14 01:23:22

MongooseOfPower

That worked!
Thank you WonderWoofy!

Board footer