You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-15 08:06:28

darthpenguin

How Can I Burn Files to CD/DVD from Thunar?

Hi Guys,

Sorry I have to resort to starting a tread for this but I have checked the wiki and Google and come up with squat. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something very simple but I just can't figure it out.

I am using XFCE desktp and have xfburn installed. Just to clarify, I *don't* need to know how to burn an ISO to disk. I also *don't* need to know how to create a data disk with xfburn. What I would like to know is how to create and burn a data disk from within Thunar. When I insert a blank DVD or CD I can select the disk from the Thunar sidebar. This will "mount" the disk and the title bar of the Thunar window will change to "CD/DVD Creator - File Manager". Clearly this means that Thunar *can* create a CD/DVD data disk or it would *not* have a "CD/DVD Creator". The path in Thunar address bar is "burn:///" I can paste files into this window. Thunar's context menu also has "Blank CD - Disk" as an option in the "send to" sub menu which also copies the selected file(s) to burn:///

But, for the love of Pete, I cannot find the damn "Burn" button. Surly, if i can "copy" files to the blank disk (or "burn:///") then I *must* be able to commit those changes (i.e. actually *burn* the data to the optical medium). What am I missing here. Am I just not seeing the "Burn" option? Do I need a plugin? Is it a configuration change I need to make in Thunar? Or xfburn? Should I install some obscure package from the AUR?

Or is this just another stupid little bug further showing that every Linux desktop environment is buggy/incomplete?

#2 2019-03-20 05:59:00

tomtemp

Re: How Can I Burn Files to CD/DVD from Thunar?

I know that it's an old question, but I had exactly the same problem under mine Linux Mint 19 xfce and found the solution here - https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/using-removable-media it describes where Thunar stores configuration for burning cd/dvd data. I found this topic looking for the solution, so this link might be helpful for others.

#3 2019-03-20 08:17:42

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: How Can I Burn Files to CD/DVD from Thunar?

Thanks for sharing, however as this is an old topic and there have been some major changes in the current thunar it might well be that that isn't applicable anymore.

Closing this old topic.

Board footer