You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-18 02:28:21

razoel123

TP T430s display port stopped working

Hello,

I am connecting my Dell U2711 via DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable to my Thinkpad T430s 2012 with Arch Linux.
Until recently, it worked without a problem
Then, a few days ago, the screen went black fron time to time (once or twice a day), and I could solve this only by restarting the laptop. Unplugging and replugging the screen did not work. Today, the same happened, but now, restarting does not work anymore, the monitor stays black. Here is what I tried so far:
* xrandr says DP1 is disconnected
* Unplugging and replugging the cable wakes up the monitor from standby for a short time, before it goes into standby again (due to no signal, I assume)
* Normally, at boot the display would show the same as the internal display. This does not happen any longer (maybe a hardware issue?)
* The display is also plugged into another pc via DVI-D, which works fine. Using VGA with the laptop works, but is not an option as the monitor has WQHD resolution (2560x1440)

What I did not try (yet, due to missing alternative displays/cables)
* plugging in another DP display to check if mine is broken
* using another DP/Mini DP cable to check if the cable is broken
* using another port (HDMI to Mini DP for example) to check if the DP port is broken
* reinstalling my system or using a backup to see if it is software related

Another possibility would be that my laptop Mini DP port is broken? I tried to examine it more closely, but the connector is too small for that.

I don't know if this is related, but my journal shows ACPI errors when the display crashed:

Jan 17 21:42:49 xxxxxxx logger[2007]: ACPI group/action undefined: jack/videoout / VIDEOOUT
Jan 17 21:42:49 xxxxxxx logger[2005]: ACPI group/action undefined: jack/lineout / LINEOUT

I downgraded my acpid package after that, which did not change anything, so I assume it is not related. Newest intel drivers are installed (todays release). I thought I could factor out a software failure because booting the live cd does not help.

Thank you

#2 2014-01-18 20:16:08

dark_desert

Re: TP T430s display port stopped working

Hi,

i have the same issues on a older machine, could be the same issue:
Bug Tracker

#3 2014-01-18 23:52:13

razoel123

Hi,
That helped indeed. I was able to downgrade xf86-video-intel only together with xorg-server, which broke libgcrypt and my complete boot process. Is there any way to install a xorg-server version that is compatible to the intel driver, with all of its (correct) dependencies?

#4 2014-01-19 02:26:21

razoel123

I ended up downgrading xf86-video-intel and xorg-server, which apparently has a dependency called libgcrypt. The older version I installed has a /usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11 and about 20 other programs I have depended on a newer version of that library. So I downgraded them all. Now my external monitor is working again and I will never update my laptop again ~.~

#5 2014-01-19 09:57:24

dark_desert

Yeah, downgrading is a little bit of unpleasant smile . I use the UXA acceleration (with the side effect that my laptop monitor remains activated in VGA mode) temporarily instead of downgrading all dependencies Arch Wiki, Intel, UXA SNA.

Last edited by dark_desert (2014-01-19 09:57:51)

Board footer