You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-21 18:05:39

Kopkins

[SOLVED] System freeze when X starts

A few days ago I tried turning on my computer and it froze at the login manager. I couldn't switch to a VT and had to do a hard poweroff. I tried again, same thing. I chrooted and disabled gdm and rebooted and it worked fine getting to a VT, but as soon as i would do startx, the system would begin to load the gui and then hang. Thinking it might be gnome, I installed xfce4 and started that using startx and it also hung right after the background was drawn. I don't know what's going on. I keep my system updated and as of now it is. It seems to be a problem with X but reinstalling it didn't help. I have no custom configuration for X. What is the next step? I have some Xorg logs and a journal of one of the boots that hung. Also, on shutdown it now shows something about unmounting /oldroot/ with a bunch of subdirectories. It didn't used to do this. I don't know if this is normal and due to a recent upgrade or if it is related. I didn't notice it until I started having these issues.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
http://bpaste.net/show/170595/

/var/log/Xorg.1.log
http://bpaste.net/show/170596/

Journal of boot
http://bpaste.net/show/170608/

Last edited by Kopkins (2014-01-21 19:28:33)

#2 2014-01-21 18:47:46

demian

Re: [SOLVED] System freeze when X starts

hey,

there are a bunch of errors in your Xorg log that i believe shouldn't be there. You can check yourself with grep (EE) /var/log/Xorg*.

For instance, the evdev errors are troubling and it might be the cause of what you experienced as the system hanging. If you don't have a X11 configuration and evdev isn't working, your input devices won't work and all you can do is look at your desktop.
So, check if xf86-input-evdev is installed.
I would also try deleting any configuration files first (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d) and then reinstall xorg-server to ensure you have (an uncorrupted) /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf.

The next (critical) error is obviously Xorg failing to even load drm and your intel drivers in your second Xorg log. Might be kernel related? Have you recently installed a new kernel? If so, roll back.
Your boot log looks fine though, apart from a reference to not being able to access the display.

The oldroot thing might point to a filesystem error which could also explain your environment not loading correctly.
So, if the Xorg suggestions don't help, do a thorough filesystem check. And a reboot of course, those never hurt.

Regards

Last edited by demian (2014-01-21 18:49:46)

no place like /home
github

#3 2014-01-21 19:28:10

Kopkins

Re: [SOLVED] System freeze when X starts

Thanks demian deleted those files then reinstalled xorg-server xf86-video-intel xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-synaptics and everything is working again. Thanks so much. Kernel was fine and fsck was clean.

Board footer