You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-22 01:05:55

Heritotokou

Arch installation problem, no internet.

I am booting Arch off of my 8GB USB, I can get to the installation part, but when I type ping -c 3 www.google.com I get "unknown host" so I am assuming my network is down, or it doesn't recognize it.

I googled for this issue, but it seems as if it's only happening to people who actually have it setup, unlike me, who hasn't even created directories yet.

I also tried using ethernet and that still didn't work.

Thanks for the help guys.

#2 2014-01-22 01:12:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Arch installation problem, no internet.

What instructions are you following?  Is this from the live USB / installation media, or is this from your newly installed system?

If you are using wireless, you need to connect first - if you want to use ethernet, you'd need to put the interface up and run dhcpcd.t

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-01-22 01:15:05

Heritotokou

http://www.muktware.com/2013/11/how-to- … ated/16825

I used that one^

If I'm using a bad example of an installation tutorial, then I'll just go find another one.

This is from the live USB, nothing installed, nothing messed with, fresh black screen with nothing on it except the hostname.

So I guess i'd be better off using an ethernet cable as oppose to wireless?

#4 2014-01-22 01:19:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I have not reviewed that link - but I'd bet that is the problem.  Many very experienced arch users put a lot of time and effort into keeping up our beginner's guide.  Use it.

I hope this doesn't sound to blunt, but until you read the correct documentation, I don't think you'll get a lot of input here.

(edit: I just skimmed over that guide, and I found a few minor innaccuracies that would be misleading, and one *major* error that made me just stop reading.)

Last edited by Trilby (2014-01-22 01:25:16)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-01-22 02:13:36

Heritotokou

Trilby wrote:

I have not reviewed that link - but I'd bet that is the problem.  Many very experienced arch users put a lot of time and effort into keeping up our beginner's guide.  Use it.

I hope this doesn't sound to blunt, but until you read the correct documentation, I don't think you'll get a lot of input here.

(edit: I just skimmed over that guide, and I found a few minor innaccuracies that would be misleading, and one *major* error that made me just stop reading.)

Okay, I read over the beginners guide, I tried everything and it didn't work. When I ping www.google.com it just pauses, and when I ping 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 it just says there was 100% packet loss, and that the host was unreachable.

I guess I can't put Arch on this machine.

#6 2014-01-22 02:25:10

ewaller
Administrator

Heritotokou wrote:

Come on, seriously?

Look at your posts.  What have you told us?  You don't even tell us if is a wired or a wireless network.  Actually, you did in post #3.
What type of wireless is it?  Open, WEP, WPA1/2?  What is your wireless chip set? What is your wired chip set?

Please post the output of ip link
iw dev
and of
lspci -nn

What if you connect your wired internet via a cable and run (as root) dhcpcd   ?
Your wired network should come up.

If it does not, provide comprehensive error messages.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2014-01-22 20:12:16

Heritotokou

ewaller wrote:
Heritotokou wrote:

Come on, seriously?

Look at your posts.  What have you told us?  You don't even tell us if is a wired or a wireless network.  Actually, you did in post #3.
What type of wireless is it?  Open, WEP, WPA1/2?  What is your wireless chip set? What is your wired chip set?

Please post the output of ip link
iw dev
and of
lspci -nn

What if you connect your wired internet via a cable and run (as root) dhcpcd   ?
Your wired network should come up.

If it does not, provide comprehensive error messages.

Sure, I'll do it. But now it seems sort of "not worth it" because everytime I boot from the USB, i'll have to keep doing the install because it won't be persistent..

#8 2014-01-22 20:15:43

karol
Archivist

Why are they not persistent??
Can you post the output ewaller is asking for?

#9 2014-01-22 21:07:18

xtraroot

Maybe you shouldn't be installing it anyways if you can't even follow explicit instructions, let alone basic troubleshooting.

Last edited by xtraroot (2014-01-22 21:07:45)

Board footer