You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-27 01:15:06

Serge2702

About changing to the linux-lts kernel and suspending to RAM

Arch Linux is my favorite distro. The only thing I can't do is suspend to RAM (when I restart my ASUS laptop the screen freezes). According to the wiki and numerous posts in the forum, the only solution is to change to the LTS kernel. Apparently I have to install the linux-lts package and edit GRUB so I can boot it. The problem is that I didn't install a bootloader in Arch. I have 4 distros in my laptop and I use Linux Mint's GRUB to detect and boot them. I don't want to install GRUB on Arch because the first time I tried it wouldn't boot, I messed something up and had to do a fresh install again. So, what I can do to change to the linux-lts kernel? What are the disadvantages of using it? And more importantly, is it worth the trouble doing this, just for suspending to RAM?

#2 2014-01-27 01:20:11

WonderWoofy

Re: About changing to the linux-lts kernel and suspending to RAM

Install the LTS kernel, then reboot (or chroot) to the other grub handling distribution and regenerate the config.

The disadvantages of the LTS kernel is that the rest of the userland continues to update, while the kernel will stay on 3.10.*.  This may begin to cause some issues over time, but the switch to the 3.10 LTS was quite recent, so you should be fine for at least a while.

#3 2014-01-27 01:44:27

Serge2702

Do I have to remove the 3.12 kernel? Or there is no problem if I have both installed?

#4 2014-01-27 03:07:04

WonderWoofy

Whenever there are packages that cannot be installed on the machine at the same time as each other, you will know it, as they will (hopefully) be set up to conflict with each other. 

You should really just give it a go.  Read some documentation and experiment a little.  If you come across questions specific to the process while you are exploring, then come back and ask.

#5 2014-01-27 03:45:19

Serge2702

Ok, thank you for the information. If I have problems I'll come back...

#6 2014-01-27 05:16:37

Serge2702

Well, I installed the linux-lts package, it didn't conflict with anything. I updated grub in Linux Mint and now I can select which kernel to boot. Now I can suspend to RAM without problems. But now  I can't adjust screen brightness nor keyboard brightness. Well, if I can't figure out how to fix those issues, I'll stick with the newest kernel and use the LTS one only for emergencies...

#7 2014-01-27 16:02:27

WonderWoofy

If it is a newer machine (like win 8 ready), you may need to tell acpi that it is not windows 8.  I have Intel graphics in a Thinkpad, and have to use acpi_osi="!Windows 2012" to make my backlight function properly.  See the wiki for more details and other methods that have worked for other people/machines.

Board footer