You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-27 03:41:56

timemaster

[SOLVED] how to disable automatic mount of everything (usb, cd, sata h

Hello all,
I know this is a newbie question, but I can't find anything useful on how to disable the auto-mount feature of my computer.
automount : when I plus a usb key, a cd in the drive, connect a sata hard disk, or a mtp device, the computer will always mount the device; mount the filesystem in a specific directory. I would like to know how to disable all that stuff. If I want to mount my usb key, I'll do it myself from the device menu, the same apply to my hotplug sata drive and all others.
I am running cinnamon (which is a fort of gnome3 by linux mint guys). Some times ago, I searched to try to disable this automount feature and it looked like it had to do with the graphical environnment, but I could not deactivate the behaviour, I don't remember why it did not work, maybe the tutorial was for gnome2.

I am wordering how it can be done. is it the destkop environment that does that or udev ? does someone have a little idea on where I could search so I can advance

Last edited by timemaster (2014-01-31 01:43:16)

#2 2014-01-27 04:34:09

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] how to disable automatic mount of everything (usb, cd, sata h

You have to first figure out what is actually automounting your stuff there.  I imagine that since cinnamon is a fork of gnome that it probably uses gvfs.  But that is just a guess.

A base install of Arch Linux will not have anything that automounts things for you.  You either have to explicitly install such crap stuff, or it may have been pulled in as a dependency of something else.  But if you figure out what that is that is on your machine, you can then look into the docs to figure out how you might go about disabling or removing such functionality.

#3 2014-01-31 01:34:41

timemaster

Re: [SOLVED] how to disable automatic mount of everything (usb, cd, sata h

In GUI
Install and/or run dconf-editor. Browse to org -> cinnamon -> desktop - media-handling.
Uncheck automount-open and automount

In Terminal
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.media-handling automount-open false
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.media-handling automount false

source : http://askubuntu.com/questions/264208/h … ger-window

Board footer