You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-28 23:46:56

doubleshot

Thinkpad T510 - stability and performance issues

I recently installed Manjaro (Net Edition) onto my Thinkpad for mainly two reasons: 1) my Desktop broke down (unfortunately hardware-related) and 2) I grew tired of backporting for Elementary OS, which was previously used on my notebook. Being an Arch user for over half a year Manjaro was only my second choice, but since there was no quick way to deal with potential problems during the installation process, I ran with the latter option. The whole process went pretty smoothly - till I got to actually using the system.

I hope no one minds that I'am currently running Manjaro...I searched for answers, especially regarding frequently occuring freezes. Needles to say I'am quite desperate to find some useful help wink Here is most of my post from the Manjaro forum regarding my troubles:

doubleshot wrote:

...Since I'am quite happy with Arch on my Desktop I thought I should give Manjaro a try. Backporting just got to my nerves more than enough times (previously rocking Elementary on my notebook) and another rolling release distro seemed to be the right solution for me. Unfortunately I'am riddled with some minor and bigger problems. First of all the ethernet connection seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes I get a carrier signal on the interface, other times I don't. At first I thought it might be a power management problem and forcing the device to be alway on would be the right solution...

echo on > "/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:19.0/power/control"

This seems to work...sometimes, after toggleing the interface off and on again and waiting for half an hour. Behold:

2: enp0s25: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 5c:ff:35:00:62:68 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Needles to say I would be screwd without Wlan, especially after a reboot, where I'am faced with this guessing game all over again.

Another big problem is the overall performance of the desktop. Gnome 3.10 comes with some major hickups at times (during some minor work in Gimp for example) , something I wasn't faced with on Elementary's Pantheon Shell. The systems runs the current proprietary Nvidia driver but it doesn't seem to help much.

Last but not least: watching some videos (may it be flash or something encoded on my local drive) can be quite a risky procedure. Closing or trying to minimize it caused my system to freeze completely more than one time. During this freezes my primary monitor showed the current windows, where as my secondary one displayed a single color till I hard-reset the notebook (changing the terminal and restarting the display manager doesn't work, there is no reaction to any keyboard input at all).

If someone is running under similar issues with Arch please lend me some aid.

Thanks smile

Board footer