You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-29 08:34:02

hippieben
Member
Registered: 2013-10-27
Posts: 195

Search within a thread?

Maybe I'm just blind, and I swear I've done it before, but I cannot seem to find anyway to search within a thread.  Am I just having a major brain fart, or can this not actually be done?  Thanks.

Offline

#2 2014-01-29 08:45:32

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 19,382
Website

Re: Search within a thread?

There is an option to search the "message text" which is the thread. Is that what you mean?


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#3 2014-01-29 12:30:05

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,433

Re: Search within a thread?

If it's not a common word, like 'From' or 'Registered' - which appear next to every post - just use the 'Search on page' function of your web browser. You can set you display options to 75 posts per page (it's the maximum) in your forum profile to make it easier.

Offline

#4 2014-01-29 16:17:01

hippieben
Member
Registered: 2013-10-27
Posts: 195

Re: Search within a thread?

jasonwryan wrote:

There is an option to search the "message text" which is the thread. Is that what you mean?

That still just brings up a list of threads rather than a list of messages within a specific thread

Offline

#5 2014-01-29 16:17:31

hippieben
Member
Registered: 2013-10-27
Posts: 195

Re: Search within a thread?

karol wrote:

If it's not a common word, like 'From' or 'Registered' - which appear next to every post - just use the 'Search on page' function of your web browser. You can set you display options to 75 posts per page (it's the maximum) in your forum profile to make it easier.

Not really practical when a thread is 200+ pages long.

Offline

#6 2014-01-29 16:18:43

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,433

Re: Search within a thread?

Have you tried selecting 'Show results as' as 'Posts' rather than 'Topics'?

hippieben wrote:
karol wrote:

If it's not a common word, like 'From' or 'Registered' - which appear next to every post - just use the 'Search on page' function of your web browser. You can set you display options to 75 posts per page (it's the maximum) in your forum profile to make it easier.

Not really practical when a thread is 200+ pages long.

Which one is that? What is the phrase you're looking for? Have you tried using Google for this?

Last edited by karol (2014-01-29 16:20:04)

Offline

#7 2014-02-19 20:02:19

vokuro
Member
Registered: 2014-02-19
Posts: 1

Re: Search within a thread?

This would be a helpful feature for multipage threads. Even with 75 posts per page, the bspwm thread is still 15 pages long. Slickdeals.net (and others, this is just one example) has a search this thread tool. Included a screen shot for reference.

ShnZz5Y.png

Offline

#8 2014-02-19 20:04:22

hippieben
Member
Registered: 2013-10-27
Posts: 195

Re: Search within a thread?

vokuro wrote:

This would be a helpful feature for multipage threads. Even with 75 posts per page, the bspwm thread is still 15 pages long. Slickdeals.net (and others, this is just one example) has a search this thread tool. Included a screen shot for reference.

http://i.imgur.com/ShnZz5Y.png

Yup, I think this thread has turned into a feature request.  The current way of searching within threads is very cumbersome.  Other forums handle it much better.  In fact, arch forums are the only ones that I've come across where this is not an easily accessed feature.

Offline

#9 2014-02-19 20:12:17

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,433

Re: Search within a thread?

Is it just Arch Linux forums or any other that uses fluxbb forum software?

Offline

#10 2014-02-20 05:12:51

hippieben
Member
Registered: 2013-10-27
Posts: 195

Re: Search within a thread?

karol wrote:

Is it just Arch Linux forums or any other that uses fluxbb forum software?

I can't answer that, as Arch's forums are the only fluxbb forum I have used.  Hopefully someone else can.  I suspect that it's universal to fluxbb though.

Offline

#11 2014-02-20 05:17:34

x33a
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 3,430
Website

Re: Search within a thread?

hippieben wrote:

Yup, I think this thread has turned into a feature request.

Indeed, and you are better off making this request upsteam. Arch uses vanilla fluxbb.

hippieben wrote:

I can't answer that, as Arch's forums are the only fluxbb forum I have used.

Well, I have seen at least crunchbang forums use fluxbb. You may go there and see if this feature is available or not.

Last edited by x33a (2014-02-20 05:20:39)

Offline

#12 2015-09-06 10:37:11

nishantvarma
Member
From: Bangalore
Registered: 2015-09-04
Posts: 24

Re: Search within a thread?

Has this been addressed? Can we search within a thread in the forum?

Offline

#13 2015-09-06 14:53:37

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 13,442

Re: Search within a thread?

Yes. Karol posted the correct answer in post #6.  Here is a screen shot of my system http://i.imgur.com/kNxcRrN.png.   Of course, I've an extra option tongue


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
You assume people are rational and influenced by evidence.  You must not work with the public much. -- Trilby
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#14 2015-09-12 21:52:47

nishantvarma
Member
From: Bangalore
Registered: 2015-09-04
Posts: 24

Re: Search within a thread?

Thanks, appreciate ewaller! Google works pretty decent on the forum as well.

Offline

#15 2015-09-12 22:25:43

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 13,442

Re: Search within a thread?

nishantvarma wrote:

Google works pretty decent on the forum as well.

Unless you are looking for Topics Going Nowhere, Dustbin, or off Topic hmm


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
You assume people are rational and influenced by evidence.  You must not work with the public much. -- Trilby
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#16 2015-11-29 00:22:39

Ian Kelling
Member
Registered: 2014-07-18
Posts: 17

Re: Search within a thread?

ewaller wrote:

Yes. Karol posted the correct answer in post #6.  Here is a screen shot of my system http://i.imgur.com/kNxcRrN.png.   Of course, I've an extra option tongue

No, this is not solved. That does not limit your search to a single thread. Since someone suggested asking upstream, I have asked at http://fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=61499#p61499

Offline

#17 2015-12-01 13:42:57

Ian Kelling
Member
Registered: 2014-07-18
Posts: 17

Re: Search within a thread?

A workaround:

curl the pages into a single file and search it. just alter the end of the url as below where 1-20 are the pages
For example:

curl -s 'https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119473&p=[1-20]' | less

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB