You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-30 14:47:00

ironicbadger

Arch as a Xen Guest with VGA passthrough (HD6450 or HD7970)

The end goal is to get a gnome desktop running, but to start with even a terminal display would be nice. I suspect I'm lacking in some Xorg config or something else obvious tbh, but need a steer.

Installing Arch as a Xen guest no problem, even passing through the card successfully but I get a few weird little issues I've been stumped on for a week or so and would appreciate some help! I've done a few installations with varying configs and I'll try to remember everything I've tried, but to be sure I'll post exactly what my current system is...

The VGA card attempting to be passed through at the moment is the HD6450, which I have confirmed works 'bare metal' with on the xf86-video-ati drivers and 'radeon' in mkinitcpio modules. If I replicate the same setup on the Xen guest I get nothing, sigh! This is what the xen guests shows when I run 'lspci' so it is being passed through OK.

00:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450]
00:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6400 Series]

On bare metal I installed xf86-video-ati, gnome and then ran 'systemctl start gdm' and it worked first time, no configuration required.

-------------

off the top of my head previously installations I've tried the following with both hd6450 and hd7970 (though in reality it will be the hd6450 being used for Arch so that's my priority)...

- Installing the catalyst drivers, and got as far as a visible xterm! From there I tried to launch XBMC as a test, but was told that there was no supported openGL driver. Similarly systemctl start xbmc didn't work either.
- On the same install I downloaded gnome and installed gdm, ran systemctl start gdm and it failed. I then, on a whim, installed LXDM which got me to a login window (huzzah!). However, as soon as I entered my username and password (via a passed through USB keyboard / mouse) no matter which desktop environment I chose it crashed the display server. Gnome failed with a cute error message, whereas cinnamon just crashed as did KDE.

So I'm out of ideas, I'm sure it's a config problem but I really need someone to steer me in the right direction please! thanks.

Last edited by ironicbadger (2014-01-30 14:52:25)

linuxserver.io

#2 2014-01-30 20:47:56

ironicbadger

Re: Arch as a Xen Guest with VGA passthrough (HD6450 or HD7970)

Did I post this in the correct place?

linuxserver.io

Board footer