You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-05 09:22:50

Dr.U

Kernel updated and vmlinuz26 gone

Whoo, boy! I think that I really need some help. I DL'd several new Arch packages at work, went home and started to do the upgrades on my Arch box, which had kernel26 version 2.6.14-x (where, I think, x was 3). Here's what I did and what happened:

-> Upgraded mkinitrd with latest 1.01-25
-> Tried to upgrade udev to 079-1 but kept getting message that hotplug should be removed, but pacman refused to remove it because udev required it (or something to that effect).
-> After consulting pacman's help for -R I tried using -R -d and then managed to remove hotplug.
-> Upgraded to udev 079-1 and installed pcmciautils 011-1
-> Upgraded to kernel26 2.6.15-2

A little while later I turned off my Arch box, had dinner, came back before going to bed and restarted the Arch box to see how things looked after the upgrades. Selected Arch from grub's menu and -- BAMMM! Grub message appeared saying something like kernel not found (I can't remember exactly, but will check it again tonight and post it if needed). :shock:

I rebooted and this time selected Kanotix from the grub menu. Opened my Arch /boot and found: no vmlinuz26  :shock:  No matter where I looked, I could not find vmlinuz26 anywhere  :!:

So what do I do now? Can I boot into my Kanotix and somehow restore vmlinuz26 (which I assume must be part of the kernel26 2.6.15-2) like by running (somehow) pacman from within Kanotix and doing the kernel26 upgrade again? Is this what chroot is used for? Or do I need to boot the Kanotix liveCD to do this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and followed to the letter!

Thanks in advance,
  -- Dr.U

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really do not know that anything has ever been more
exciting than diagramming sentences. -- Gertrude Stein

#2 2006-01-05 10:23:45

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Kernel updated and vmlinuz26 gone

Yeah, boot Kanotix, chroot into Arch, and pacman -A the kernel package - that should do it.

#3 2006-01-05 12:57:34

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

you shouldn't need to chroot as long as you mount the partition and use --root= switch to pacman or whatever it is.

#4 2006-01-05 17:46:38

Dr.U

Well, I tried doing the chroot-thing and running pacman again but nothing changed: no vmlinuz26, etc. In fact, /boot only contained two files: diag1.img and kconfig26. So I ran pacman with the -v option and then, since I luckily had in my cache kernel26 version 2.6.13.4-3 I ran pacman -U -fv on that and there was everything in /boot and my system now runs with that kernel.

My guess is that my kernel26 version 2.6.15-2 download is corrupt. At the end of the pacman -v when installing the older kernel I saw

running "/sbin/ldconfig -r /"
extracting files...

And then a pause as I heard the HD working, then a message appeared reminding me about udev and devfs etc. and the install was done.

When installing the new kernel with the -v option in pacman, I never had the pause after the

running "/sbin/ldconfig -r /"

and the HD did nothing.

I guess that next week I will try to DL the new kernel package again and see if I can install it.

Anyone one know whre I can find the kernel26 in the last 2.6.14 version? That was working real well and if 2.6.15-2 just doesn't work for me, then at least I could install 2.6.14 again (damn if I know why I didn't keep that package in my cache!!!).

Thanks for the quick replies and reassurance that the chroot-route was the one to follow. I had no idea ... only a vague memory about reading something about chroot some time back.

Regards,
  -- Dr.U

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Close only counts when playing horseshoes or throwing handgrenades.

#5 2006-01-05 21:11:48

Dr.U

Es hat sich erledigt (I found a 2.6.14.5 kernel).

Thanks,
  -- Dr.U

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The brain! My second most favorite organ. -- Woody Allen

Board footer