You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-03 21:35:28

pivotraze

NetGUI -- The Successor of WiFiz! (NetCTL Frontend) (AUR)

If you have been using WiFiz, I hope you will be happy about the much better, rewritten from the ground up NetGUI! There are always people who prefer GUI frontends to CLI frontends. I like the simplicity Frontends provide, personally. So, because I use NetCTL over WICD and NetworkManager, I'm designing a whole new frontend for NetCTL.

Features:

• Scanning for new networks via wpa

• GUI way to create new profiles (Under development)

• Connecting to any created profiles

• Automatic connection to created profiles (Under Development)

• Simple, intuitive interface for Gnome/GTK

• Simple editing of current profiles(Under Development)

• Automatically connect to open/unsecured networks (disabled on first run, enable through preferences) (WIP)

• Integration with Gnome Shell (an indicator in the top right bar of gnome, where volume etc... is, e.g. the panel) (WIP)

• Notifications (Currently broken due to a massive rewrite of how it is handled)

• Open source under custom MIT license

NetGUI no longer depends on wireless-tools, making it lighter than WiFiz!

That is the current feature list. If anybody has any ideas to add to it, I would love to hear them!

pok0E6M.png
The Main Interface

9IqaKMs.png
The In-Development Preferences Dialog

BVZkQ6H.png
About Box

mMHDmuw.png
Example Notification

The link to the GitHub page: https://github.com/codywd/NetGUI
AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/netgui/

NOTICE: If you currently use WiFiz, this will replace it.

The Custom MIT license:

Copyright (c) 2012 Cody Dostal, Pivotraze

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any, must include the following acknowledgment: "This product includes software developed by Cody Dostal https://github.com/codywd and its contributors", in the same place and form as other third-party acknowledgments. Alternatively, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself, in the same form and location as other such third-party acknowledgments.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Last edited by pivotraze (2018-04-05 19:46:18)

#2 2014-02-05 03:43:07

ewaller
Administrator

Re: NetGUI -- The Successor of WiFiz! (NetCTL Frontend) (AUR)

sad

ewaller$@$odin ~ 1004 %netgui

(main.py:30859): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1:58: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-main.css' does not exist
mkdir: cannot create directory '/usr/lib/netgui/': Permission denied
netgui NEEDS to be run as root, since many commands we use requires it.
Please sudo or su -c and try again.
ewaller$@$odin ~ [77]1005 %sudo netgui
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 455, in <module>
    netgui()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 70, in __init__
    self.InitUI()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 139, in InitUI
    self.interfaceName = GetInterface()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 431, in GetInterface
    f.write(self.interfaceName)
NameError: global name 'self' is not defined
ewaller$@$odin ~ [1]1006 %

Maybe it is Python 2?

ewaller$@$odin ~ 1008 %sudo python2 /usr/bin/netgui
  File "/usr/bin/netgui", line 6
    exec /usr/bin/python -O /usr/share/netgui/main.py $@
         ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
ewaller$@$odin ~ [1]1009 %sudo python2 /usr/share/netgui/main.py
Please wait! Now Scanning.
Process Process-1:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 258, in _bootstrap
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/process.py", line 114, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 165, in onScan
    InterfaceCtl.up(self, self.interfaceName)
TypeError: unbound method up() must be called with InterfaceCtl instance as first argument (got netgui instance instead)
    netgui()
    self.InitUI()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 142, in InitUI
    self.startScan(None)
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 160, in startScan
    self.checkScan()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 183, in checkScan
    next(r)
StopIteration
ewaller$@$odin ~ [1]1010 %

Grrr....

Edit:

ewaller$@$odin ~ [1]1011 %su
Password: 
odin ewaller # netgui
interface:: up: 
Cannot find device ""
Selected interface 'wlan0'
OK
Done Scanning!

And a  GUI appears.  But not how I choose to run a GUI app.

Last edited by ewaller (2014-02-05 03:46:16)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-02-05 03:53:56

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Haha, I remember making some of those icons. I'm surprised they're still around. Shockingly, they don't look too terrible tongue Congrats on the fork, and best of luck!

All the best,

-HG

#4 2014-02-05 11:44:49

hifi25nl

I cannot start:

[piero@archlinux ~]$ kdesudo netgui
Cannot find device ""
Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null)  error: No such file or directory
Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null)  error: No such file or directory
Done Scanning!
    netgui()
    self.InitUI()
    self.startScan(None)
    self.checkScan()
    next(r)
StopIteration

#5 2014-02-05 15:35:57

pivotraze

hifi25nl wrote:

I cannot start:

[piero@archlinux ~]$ kdesudo netgui
Cannot find device ""
Done Scanning!
    netgui()
    self.InitUI()
    self.startScan(None)
    self.checkScan()
    next(r)
StopIteration

Thanks. I think I know what the main issue is. Can you give me the output of:

cat /proc/net/wireless

Also, if you can give me the output of:

ls /sys/class/net

This might be a new way to autodetect the wireless card.

This is the way netgui is supposed to automatically detect the wireless device. I may need to set up a backup way.

Last edited by pivotraze (2014-02-05 16:00:30)

#6 2014-02-05 15:57:45

hifi25nl

I have wifi disabled (blacklist in modprobe.d). Normally I was using wifiz before for quick DNS switch.
Moreover, I hope there is the right mouse context menu for choosing network configuration.

[piero@archlinux ~]$ cat /proc/net/wireless
Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed | WE
 face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon | 22
[piero@archlinux ~]$ ls /sys/class/net
enp0s25  lo

#7 2014-02-05 16:02:13

pivotraze

hifi25nl wrote:

I have wifi disabled (blacklist in modprobe.d). Normally I was using wifiz before for quick DNS switch.
Moreover, I hope there is the right mouse context menu for choosing network configuration.

[piero@archlinux ~]$ cat /proc/net/wireless
Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed | WE
[piero@archlinux ~]$ ls /sys/class/net
enp0s25  lo

I'm not quite sure what to go about here. NetGUI hasn't been developed to work with wired connections yet (neither was WiFiz for that matter, so I'm kind of surprised it worked!) I could start adding that in. It should be available in version 0.7. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding you, but WiFiz had no ability to switch between DNSes (unless you manually made various profiles, and used it to switch between them?)

This all is coming in the next update. I should be able to add the manual switching by a quick 0.65 update, and wired by 0.7. Look for a coming update soon.

#8 2014-02-05 16:05:35

hifi25nl

Yes, I had some manual configurations made before.
I was thinking that netgui would leave me to select them, it would be very nice. Wifiz was working perfectly for switching DNS!

Last edited by hifi25nl (2014-02-05 16:05:56)

#9 2014-02-05 16:19:01

pivotraze

hifi25nl wrote:

Yes, I had some manual configurations made before.
I was thinking that netgui would leave me to select them, it would be very nice. Wifiz was working perfectly for switching DNS!

Thanks for the compliment. I guess I had forgotten to implement manual switching under the profiles menu! I'm working on it now, but GTK3/PyGObject is being a little jerk when it comes to programmatically adding new items.

#10 2014-02-05 16:25:35

hifi25nl

Thank you.
However...I enabled wifi, reboot, put interface up but not configured, scan to see if it was detecting wireless spots, but I have the same errors.

#11 2014-02-05 16:30:15

pivotraze

hifi25nl wrote:

Thank you.
However...I enabled wifi, reboot, put interface up but not configured, scan to see if it was detecting wireless spots, but I have the same errors.

It is probably because netgui still sees the interface configuration file is created.

Run the following command:

sudo rm /usr/lib/netgui/interface.cfg

Replace sudo with whatever way you run commands as root. Then try restarting netgui. Does it work now? smile If it doesn't, I may have a bug that has escaped me until now haha.

Last edited by pivotraze (2014-02-05 16:30:36)

#12 2014-02-05 16:45:30

hifi25nl

No, it doesn't work. Same error with a difference.
When I first start netgui after removing interface.cfg I don't have

Cannot find device ""

The second time is as before.

#13 2014-02-05 16:52:58

pivotraze

Since you reenabled wireless, Could you once again give me the output of ls /sys/class/net and cat /proc/net/wireless?

I'm trying to see if the new way of detecting networks automagically (cat /proc/net/wireless, and then some slicing magic with Python) works. It works for me, but I haven't any other computers to test it on.

Thanks once again.

#14 2014-02-05 16:57:03

hifi25nl

[root@archlinux piero]#  ls /sys/class/net
enp0s25  lo  wlp2s0
[root@archlinux piero]# 
[root@archlinux piero]# cat /proc/net/wireless

#15 2014-02-05 19:04:24

pivotraze

What is odd is that your /proc/net/wireless file doesn't state the wireless card like mine does. That's the issue. Maybe finding it through /sys/class/net will be better. From the looks of it (and this is only 2 of god knows how many computers run Arch), wlp is what wireless cards use, so it should make it much easier. Do some still use names like wlan, ra0, etc...?

#16 2014-03-22 13:54:45

mich04

Is there a way to place this in my system tray in lxpanel?

I love computers, networking and Arch Linux. Sometimes I might ask a stupid question, but please have grace with me like I would with you.

#17 2014-04-04 15:00:10

pivotraze

mich04: Not yet. I'm working on a system tray icon, but haven't implemented it fully yet

#18 2014-04-22 02:33:11

MadlySeason

I am definitely a newbie when it comes to Arch way of life (installed a couple days ago) but I've been using debian based distros for a long time now, meaning I know my way around but I'm still learning Linux.
That being said, I have stumbled upon with a problem similar to hifi25nl's. I run into two situations.

1) Tried deleting /usr/lib/netgui/interface.cfg but that didn't work. So I edited that file with the name of my wireless network interface, wlp14s0. Also, no networking related service is enabled (using systemctl). And wlp14s0 is up after boot.
Is it OK to edit /usr/lib/netgui/interface.cfg? This is my output at this point:

[alvaro@ncc-1701 txt]$ sudo netgui
interface:: up: wlp14s0
Done Scanning!

2) There's a whole different situation if I have existing netctl profiles when I run netgui. If I create a (working) netctl profile via wifi-menu and reboot, then I can use netgui, scanning works perfectly, but the network I am already connected appears as not connected and I cannot connect to any network. Ignore the second and third scans as I was obviously scanning for networks (maybe they were not showing and I was going crazy at the time tongue) , the section of code that always appears is the trace that ends with the TypeError. This is the output:

[sudo] password for alvaro:
Selected interface 'wlp14s0'
OK
Done Scanning!
FAIL-BUSY
Done Scanning!
OK
Done Scanning!
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 198, in startScan
    self.checkScan()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 222, in checkScan
    next(r)
StopIteration
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 274, in connectClicked
    key = get_network_pw(self, "Please enter network password", "Network Password Required.")
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 495, in get_network_pw
    message)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 175, in new_init
    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 500, in __init__
    self._init(*args, **new_kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 175, in new_init
TypeError: could not convert value for property `transient_for' from netgui to GtkWindow

So, I'm sorry for a kind of long post, I hope this is all due to my lack of knowledge. Anyway else, it could help improve NetGUI.

#19 2014-05-19 14:46:48

pivotraze

MadlySeason wrote:

I am definitely a newbie when it comes to Arch way of life (installed a couple days ago) but I've been using debian based distros for a long time now, meaning I know my way around but I'm still learning Linux.
That being said, I have stumbled upon with a problem similar to hifi25nl's. I run into two situations.

1) Tried deleting /usr/lib/netgui/interface.cfg but that didn't work. So I edited that file with the name of my wireless network interface, wlp14s0. Also, no networking related service is enabled (using systemctl). And wlp14s0 is up after boot.
Is it OK to edit /usr/lib/netgui/interface.cfg? This is my output at this point:

Done Scanning!

First off, I'm terrible sorry that you are not having a great experience to start off with! We actually currently know about this issue, and we are working on a fix. However, the fix is harder than we anticipated (https://github.com/codywd/NetGUI/issues/15) This is an upstream bug with the backend of the program, and to fix it, we need to rewrite the backend.

MadlySeason wrote:

2) There's a whole different situation if I have existing netctl profiles when I run netgui. If I create a (working) netctl profile via wifi-menu and reboot, then I can use netgui, scanning works perfectly, but the network I am already connected appears as not connected and I cannot connect to any network. Ignore the second and third scans as I was obviously scanning for networks (maybe they were not showing and I was going crazy at the time tongue) , the section of code that always appears is the trace that ends with the TypeError. This is the output:

[sudo] password for alvaro:
OK
Done Scanning!
FAIL-BUSY
Done Scanning!
OK
Done Scanning!
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 198, in startScan
    self.checkScan()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 222, in checkScan
    next(r)
StopIteration
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 274, in connectClicked
    key = get_network_pw(self, "Please enter network password", "Network Password Required.")
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 495, in get_network_pw
    message)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 500, in __init__
    self._init(*args, **new_kwargs)
TypeError: could not convert value for property `transient_for' from netgui to GtkWindow

So, I'm sorry for a kind of long post, I hope this is all due to my lack of knowledge. Anyway else, it could help improve NetGUI.

No worries for the long post, it held a lot of data so I'm happy to know about it! So with this problem, half of it is being fixed, the other half wasn't known about until now. The version in AUR is out-of-date (but the current one is not stable enough to set up with AUR). The half where NetGUI doesn't say it is connected is fixed in our Github package, but not in the AUR package. (See: https://github.com/codywd/NetGUI/issues/10). I'll have to look more into the second half of your problem, however.

#20 2014-07-15 21:35:01

pivotraze

I want to make a quick post.

GreyHatter and myself are aware of the following issue:

This issue stems from the backend package we use for scanning, which is the internal subroutines of wpa. Because of this, it is something we can not easily fix. The only way we can really fix it is to rewrite the backend, which is an extremely time consuming task. I am working on it, and will hopefully have a fix out in the coming days, or weeks. I work on NetGUI in my spare time because I have a full time job, and a family. I will get to work on this issue, and the next update to AUR will fix it.

Again, I apologize for all the issues we have had in the development of this.

**UPDATE**: This issue may have been fixed in version 0.7. If you are willing to do some testing, it is available on github here: https://github.com/codywd/NetGUI/tree/release/0.7

Last edited by pivotraze (2014-07-16 16:41:00)

#21 2014-07-25 08:33:30

duelistjp

I probably  am just repeating something you already know but perhaps not.  I am new to arch having only installed a few days before and my previous experience with linux os's have all been ubuntu based.  this is what happens when i try to run this from the terminal.  i don't know if it matters but I am using lxde with the default wm.  If you know how i can get this working i'd appreciate it. want to show off to a friend next week since he gave up on arch a while back without getting it booted into a graphical environment, but it is slightly less impressive if i have to fall back to the terminal and wifi-menu to connect to his wifi.  if you can use anymore info i'd be happy to help

sudo netgui

(process:1735): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(main.py:1735): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/aboutLogo.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/aboutLogo.png': No such file or directory

(main.py:1735): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/APScan.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/APScan.png': No such file or directory

(main.py:1735): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/connect.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/connect.png': No such file or directory

(main.py:1735): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/disconnect.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/disconnect.png': No such file or directory

(main.py:1735): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/exit.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/exit.png': No such file or directory

(main.py:1735): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/preferences.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/preferences.png': No such file or directory
interface:: up: wlp2s0
Selected interface 'wlp2s0'
OK
Done Scanning!
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 528, in <module>
    netgui()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 73, in __init__
    self.InitUI()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 160, in InitUI
    self.startScan(None)
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 194, in startScan
    self.checkScan()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 218, in checkScan
    next(r)
StopIteration

#22 2014-08-04 19:11:26

pivotraze

Hi duelistjp!

I apologize for you having issues. Let's give something a shot, shall we?

Go to /usr/share/netgui

In there, you should see netgui.py.

Go ahead and open the file as root (if you have gedit, it's easiest to type sudo gedit netgui.py)

When it is open, navigate to line 218.

You should see the following on lines 217/218.

if network == "":
     next(r)

Go ahead and replace those two lines with the following

# if network == "":
#     next(r)

Does it work now? If it does, I'll have to find a better way to check for this bug.

**UPDATE**: This issue should be fixed in the latest version on GitHub. However, I do not recommend using the version on GitHub, as it currently is broken after a rewrite of the backend (which fixed this bug). The new version will hopefully pop up on the AUR in the next week.

Last edited by pivotraze (2014-08-20 20:46:47)

#23 2014-08-23 09:25:19

pivotraze

**EDIT 08/27/14 6:33PM**
Version 0.7.1 is now available!

What is different in version 0.7.1?
1. Fixed the bug where a network called \x00\x00\x00\x00... randomly shows up. Now correctly skips over it.

Now to buckle down and finish version 0.8! Lots of changed coming in 0.8! Keep an eye on https://github.com/codywd/NetGUI/blob/develop/CHANGELOG to see what is happening in version 0.8. Also, keep an eye on https://github.com/codywd/NetGUI/blob/develop/netgui.py (specifically, the TODO up top) to see what we are working on, and what has been finished.

**/EDIT**

Version 0.7 is now available!

What has changed in version 0.7? Here we go:
1. Fixed issue #15: "Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null) error: No such file or directory
2. Fixed issue where wpa_cli ignored the NetGUI selected interface, even if set through preferences
3. Changed dependency from notify-osd to notification-daemon. While I encounter issues if I DON'T use notify-osd, I will change it because it is a popular request.
4. If a profile already exists, use it, and don't make a new one.
5. Change to NoWifiMode through Menu (called Switch to Profile View)
6. Changed backend to internal routines of WPA. Killed two issues in one stone.
7. No longer shows blank networks.
8. If profile already exists for network, now it will correctly connect to it.

Known bugs?
Sometimes, a network called /x00/x00/x00/x00/x00... will show up. I'm not sure how to automatically ignore it.

Last edited by pivotraze (2014-08-28 00:35:23)

#24 2014-09-13 10:49:48

Sandro

Hi, I just installed netgui and I'm experiencing some troubles trying to start it up. it gives me the following:

Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/aboutLogo.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/aboutLogo.png': No such file or directory
(main.py:579): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/APScan.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/APScan.png': No such file or directory

(main.py:579): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/connect.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/connect.png': No such file or directory

(main.py:579): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/disconnect.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/disconnect.png': No such file or directory

(main.py:579): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/exit.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/exit.png': No such file or directory

(main.py:579): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load image 'imgs/preferences.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/netgui/imgs/preferences.png': No such file or directory
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCGIWMODE]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWESSID]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODE]: Operation not supported
Done Scanning!

File "/usr/lib/python3.4/shutil.py", line 522, in move
    os.rename(src, real_dst)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '' -> '/var/lib/netgui/final_results.log'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 649, in <module>
    netgui()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 116, in __init__
    self.InitUI()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 219, in InitUI
    self.startScan(None)
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 261, in startScan
    self.checkScan()
  File "/usr/share/netgui/main.py", line 276, in checkScan
    shutil.move(realdir, statusDir + "final_results.log")
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/shutil.py", line 534, in move
    copy2(src, real_dst)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/shutil.py", line 244, in copy2
    copyfile(src, dst, follow_symlinks=follow_symlinks)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/shutil.py", line 107, in copyfile
    with open(src, 'rb') as fsrc:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ''

I don't know if I'm lacking or forgetting something, maybe you're able to help me somehow. Thank you for your good work.

#25 2014-09-13 11:44:26

teateawhy
Website

Does NetGUI support setting a priority for WiFi networks, where the one with the highest priority is connected to first?

Board footer