You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-04 19:28:19

samyazza

System fails to boot [edit 2014.02.05 9:47]

edit, 2014.02.05, 9:47

This seems to be a graphics card driver / kernel modes problem, the filesystem turned out fine and dandy. Please read my latest post in this thread as this is yet unsolved.
-----

Hello, fellow Archers

I've left work today and my Arch Linux install from a week ago was running perfectly. But when I got home and turned my laptop on, Arch failed to boot.
I'm running two drives. Arch is installed on /dev/sda1 and Windows 7 on /dev/sdb1 (I'm on it right now). The whole PC boots in legacy (mbr) mode and uses GRUB.

I reach the GRUB menu just fine and have four Arch Linux bootup options:

Arch Linux pkg-linux kernel
Arch Linux pkg-linux kernel (fallback initramfs)
Arch Linux
Advanced options for Arch Linux

I usually just boot the first option. But at the moment, the first, third and fourth options simply result in a black screen after a brief moment of waiting and a short error string about USB. The second option is more verbose.

[2.168644] usb 3-10 string descriptor 0 malformed (err = -61), defaulting to 0x040   (<--- this is also the short error string about USB I referred to previously; it shows every time since install and it doesn't seem to break a thing)
fsck: fsck.btrfs: not found
fsck: error2 while executing fsck.btrfs for /dev/sda1
ERROR: fsck failed on '/dev/sda1'

As you can see, I have btrfs set up on /dev/sda1. It's wiki entry convinced me I have nothing to worry about, but this got me seriously afraid of losing a day's worth of work.
On the other hand, I try to keep my cool, because it might just be something trivial - the error message seems to suggest that fsck is missing a module responsible for handling btrfs. Am I on the right track??

How do I go about fixing this problem? I'll be really grateful for your quick and detailed guidance.

Last edited by samyazza (2014-02-05 08:53:03)

#2 2014-02-04 20:00:34

Max-P

Re: System fails to boot [edit 2014.02.05 9:47]

The btrfs error is harmless. fsck.btrfs doesn't exist, there's no such tool. The reason you get this error is because the last column of your fstab is not zero and asks systemd to check the system on boot but the tool for it doesn't exist. It is not required to check btrfs systems on boot. Explanation.

What's preventing your system to boot is likely something else (probably the USB error?) Try arch-chrooting into your install using the installer media and downgrade the kernel and see if you can get logs of what's failing from systemd as well.

#3 2014-02-04 20:17:24

samyazza

The USB error has been appearing since the very first boot. It never caused any trouble - my system's been booting with no problem for about 20 days now.

I have already booted from CD since starting this topic. My fstab looks like this:

/dev/sda1    /    btrfs    rw,relatime,space_cache    0    0

so it looks like fscking the filesystem is disabled.

I've removed fsck from the hooks list in mkinitcpio.conf and regenerated the kernel image using 

mkinitcpio -p linux

. Rebooting (and choosing the first GRUB option) got me the same result as before - a black screen after the usb error string.

I don't really know how to downgrade the kernel from the boot cd, so I'll see if I can get the logs first

#4 2014-02-04 20:29:24

Max-P

Interesting. I notice I misread your original post a bit too, I first thought it just hung after the USB message but I notice you mentionned the screen turns black. It might then be an issue with your video driver failing to load properly (and X just hanging there? or maybe just not loading anything else?).

What kind of video card do you have? Which driver are you using for it? Are you using a display manager or manually running startx?

If you start X on boot, check your Xorg.0.log in /var/log from the live CD to see if you can get error messages from there or a crash dump. If you see (EE) lines in there post it so we can have a look at it.

In order to downgrade packages from the live CD, you just mount your install somewhere, arch-chroot into it like you did during the install, then use pacman -U to install a previous version of the package from /var/cache/pacman/pkg/. Depending on which drivers you use and if it's an X issue or a kernel issue (X issue = X starts and fails, downgrade xf86-video-xxxxx, kernel issue = system boots using open source drivers like radeon or nouveau and crashed while setting the console resolution before X even starts) downgrade the appropriate packages.

# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
# arch-chroot /mnt
# cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg
# pacman -U linux-something-something-something.pkg.tar.xz

#5 2014-02-04 20:51:55

samyazza

I've got an Intel integrated card as well as an Nvidia Geforce GT 750M. I've installed both the xf86-video-intel drivers as well as the proprietary nvidia drivers and Bumblebee. However I've commented out all the lines in the nvidia-xconfig generated file 20-nvidia.conf file in xorg.conf.d, because when I left them in Xorg wouldn't start at all. But then I could at least change terminal using ctrl+alt+f2 etc. Now, indeed, my screen goes pitch black and I can't really see the terminals switching, even if they are.

edit: I use Gnome 3 and GDM to start up my X server

My system booted up fine this morning and I didn't go around tweaking any config files at work. I can't really remember if I've performed a -Syu today, but if there's a way to check that, perhaps that'd hint at something?

edit2: after skimming the pacman.log I've noticed that gdk-pixbuf2 was the only package that got upgraded _today_ at 9:47 o'clock. Version 2.30.3-1 went to 2.30.4-1. I'll try to downgrade it.

I do have some EE lines in Xorg.0.log. They're at about 25% of the file's length.

[ 11.323] (EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module doesn't exist, 0)
(...)
[ 11.323] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module doesn't exist, 0)
(...)
[ 11.324] same as above for module "vesa"

Last edited by samyazza (2014-02-04 21:00:31)

#6 2014-02-04 20:58:16

Max-P

I do have some EE lines in Xorg.0.log. They're at about 25% of the file's length.

There are normal errors (X trying to load various drivers before getting the right one). Is there anything else near the end of the file?

I can't really remember if I've performed a -Syu today, but if there's a way to check that, perhaps that'd hint at something?

/var/log/pacman.log will quickly tell you. It logs everything told you on screen and even a bit more. Example:

[2014-02-04 13:21] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -Su'

This will rule out package updates if you didn't update today. Have you tried disabling your gdm to at least boot into console mode and experiment from there?

#7 2014-02-04 21:01:43

samyazza

I've edited my previous post. I'll disable GDM after I try to downgrade the gdk-pixbuf2 package

edit: I got quite enthusiastic, but downgrading pixbuf didn't help

edit2:
Just to make sure I got it right.

mount --source /dev/sda1 --target /mnt
arch-chroot /mnt
systemctl disable gdm 

After booting from the cd, performing the above and rebooting, it still happens. My screen goes pitch black after I select a GRUB option. There's about a second of nothing, the message 'loading initramfs', the usb thing and a very short flicker, then darkness. Few seconds later, I can hear the hdd actvity stop

Last edited by samyazza (2014-02-04 21:19:17)

#8 2014-02-04 21:53:28

samyazza

I've downgraded the kernel from 3.12.9-2 to 3.12.7-something (I think this is the original kernel from the CD). Same thing.

How do I go about reading some sort of bootup logs? The journalctl command in arch-chroot does nothing but await my input seemingly.
A wiki entry tells me to place some code on the kernel command line

systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg log_buf_len=1M

...but I do not know what  the kernel command line is and where to tweak it

Edit:

After reading up and tweaking GRUB config to add the following options, while also removing the option "quiet"

systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg log_buf_len=1M nomodeset i915.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0

the problem budged a little bit.

I can see the services starting. The boot process in the first (ctrl+alt+f1) terminal stops at

(...)
[ OK ] Started Login Service
[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager
[ OK ] Started Automatic wireless networ connection using netctl profiles.
[ OK ] Reached target Multi-User System.
[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface

However the graphical interface does not appear. Luckily, I can switch terminals this time and view my Xorg.0.log. It now has new EEs at the very end.

(...)
[10.963] (II) intel: driver for Intel(R) HD Graphics: 2000-5000
[10.963] (II) intel: driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics: 5100
[10.963] (II) intel: driver for Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics: 5200
[10.963] (++) using VT number 1
[10.966] (EE) No devices detected.
[10.966] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[10.966] (EE) no screens found (EE)
[10.966] (EE)
Please consult the X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.x.org for help
[10.966] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information

edit:

After a long fight yesterday night, I concluded that it'll be quickest just to reinstall Arch. I know it's a primitive way out, but my install is just several days old and if everything goes right (like it went last time), I'll be up and running in no more than an afternoon. So that's what I'll be doing this evening. It seems to be a problem with graphics drivers and kernel modes, rather than filesystems.

This confuses the living daylight out of me. The Optimus Wiki page says that I need KMS turned off, while the Intel driver (and Nouveau, which I have installed instead of the proprietary driver somewhere along the way last night) both insist on having it enabled. I haven't turned it off before, but yesterday, for no reason I'm aware of, the system just wouldn't boot without the three flags in the code bracket below.  So I'm expecting more problems in the future.

nomodeset i915.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset

Why would a vanilla configuration randomly die on me after a week of being fully operational? The only change in my system between the last successful boot and the collapse was the gdk-pixbuf2 update.

To be frank, I don't really need both cards operating on Linux at the moment, as I won't be doing that kind of work on it (that's what I have Windows installed for), so a setup where only one card is recognized and utilized is perfectly acceptable. Can I install just one of the cards' drivers and set up my system to ignore the other card? I've seen threads on this forum where a lack of drivers for one graphics card seemed to cause Xorg start errors similar to what I've eventually arrived at.
I'd be really grateful if someone with knowledge on setting up stable and working environment with intel HD graphics (I think my model is 4800) and NVidia Geforce (my model: 750m) helped me out.

Last edited by samyazza (2014-02-05 08:46:27)

#9 2014-02-05 12:58:09

Kartious

Unless you are going nouveau + intel driver (and not NVidia) it doesn't seem feasible due to KMS, the system will work fine just using one card... which ever one you use is up to you.. It is a shame you reinstalled your system as its always more satisfying to fix the issue and to learn more about your system rather than just going for the flat reinstall as it may also put people off helping you after all the work they put into trying to solve your problem which then goes to wasted time. Arch is as stable as you the user make the system, lets hope for no more problems in the future eh?

#10 2014-02-05 16:03:00

samyazza

I understand your point and I'm all for learning Arch. I haven't reinstalled the system just yet, as I've been storming through the Wiki. The reading made me think that the configuration I've created initally should never even have booted up in the first place - yet there I was, running it just fine for over a week. So yes, I do realize it was me who's made it into an unstable system.  So this led me to think I should start over and get it right this time. This and the several overzealous removals and reinstalls of the various driver packages, which have left my system in an even messier state.

Last edited by samyazza (2014-02-05 16:07:22)

Board footer