You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-05 20:43:18

Gullible Jones

Syntax highlighting, autotabbing in Eclipse?

Pardon, is there a way to make Eclipse do syntax highlighting and autoindentation a la Vi? I need to use Eclipse because I've got homework involving Java, and features beyond those of a basic text editor could come in handy, methinks.

(I know the options should be in some obvious location, but I've managed to miss them somehow... :? )

#2 2006-01-05 21:21:23

Michiel
Website

Re: Syntax highlighting, autotabbing in Eclipse?

As far as I know eclipse automaticly does syntax highlighting and auto indent. Just open the right perspective (Java for Java  smile)

All you got to do, is tell the story right...

#3 2006-01-05 21:22:44

arooaroo
Website

Er, it does that automatically from a default setup.

Are you saying that you have no highlighting at all?

How did you install Eclipse, via pacman or download it yourself from the website? I ask because a couple of years ago when Eclipse was starting to become popular, I downloaded the Eclipse platform, only to find that I got the base system, without any Java IDE features. You see, the language support is in the form of additional plugins. That's why Eclipse can in fact be a Java, Python or C++ IDE, etc, providing someone has written the plugings to make it so.

Nowadays, the default download (Eclipse SDK) is bundled with the Java dev stuff. For me, it has always worked fine, out of the box. No need to enable highlighting or indenting.

#4 2006-01-05 22:47:38

Gullible Jones

Installed via pacman, and no, I have no autoindent or syntax highlighting. Here is a screenshot...

screen0qb.th.jpg

Autoindent works, but is not nearly up to Vim standards - it only works after you hit the tab key. Syntax highlighting, as you can see, does not work at all.

(In case you wonder: yes, I know about double.parseDouble, I'm just assigned to make my own version of it.)

#5 2006-01-05 23:29:22

arooaroo
Website

Ah, that's because Eclipse is just treating that file as a "file", and not as a Java-related file, e.g., .java. It's all context specific. I can't get to Eclipse right now, but you have to create a New Java Class. I think it's File/New/Java Class. Or right-click on the project folder, New and should show all the options like Java Class, Interface, etc. Once you pick on of these, it swtiches to a proper java editor.

Eclipse also lets you create "Files", because you often need plain text files like README, CHANGELOG, TODO, etc, which makes no sense to have syntax highlighting.

#6 2006-01-06 00:24:39

Gullible Jones

D'oh... Thanks! Works now. :oops:

(Hmm... Eclipse is nice, but it's damn slow. Maybe I should try NetBeans...)

#7 2006-01-06 01:04:47

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

Isn't this the guy that for some unknown inexplicable reason has an extremely slow java runtime? Any java based IDE is gonna be slow for you till you fix that.

Dusty

#8 2006-01-06 01:19:07

Gullible Jones

Gah, right, Eclipse is based on Java...

But yeah, I've found other Java apps (Azureus, Limewire) to be rather sluggish, though Frostwire is very fast for some reason. Maybe Java likes you to have swap space?

#9 2006-01-06 01:24:27

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

Gah, right, Eclipse is based on Java...

written in java, would be the correct term

But yeah, I've found other Java apps (Azureus, Limewire) to be rather sluggish, though Frostwire is very fast for some reason. Maybe Java likes you to have swap space?

Doubt it, its just memory to Java, and I think by default Java apps are restricted in memory 64mb or something, though it can be changed on the command line. But not having swap space is pretty foolish, on the whole....

Dusty

#10 2006-01-06 10:18:20

arooaroo
Website

Gullible Jones wrote:

D'oh... Thanks! Works now. :oops:

It can be a little sluggish during start-up. You should give the NB 5 beta 2 a shot though. It's a bit more responsive. Still has a hefty start-up time itself, it's pretty nippy once it's up and running.

Feature of note for NB5 is the Matisse GUI builder. Try creating a New JPanel or JFrame and then start building your GUI. It's so bloody nice. It all snaps in to place.

Board footer