You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-05 13:10:14

rabcor
Banned

[Solved(ish)]QT Applications acting up (start up slow; freeze up)

I'm using 2 QT applications that sometimes act up; Restarting X11 fixes the problem (until it returns randomly)

Additional Info: I'm using E18 (Enlightenment) Desktop Environment.

Terminal output gives me nothing while the problem is occurring (i.e. the applications take long to start):

$ dolphin
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
dolphin(1800)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." 

dolphin(1800) KSambaSharePrivate::findSmbConf: KSambaShare: Could not find smb.conf! 

The 2 applications in question are Krita and Dolphin

To name the issue both are slow at starting up (Above terminal output was from dolphin while it took a full minute to open up)
Dolphin sometimes seems to freeze up, haven't determined what exactly causes it.

I decided to sniff around a little bit, and found out that the problem at one point occurred after I did "open with" in dolphin. However it's not a foolproof replication method (this may have been pure coincidence).

I got this as a hint from terminal.

QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(2877) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry text/html in "/home/xandis/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 

I managed to replicate it somehow by opening a JPEG file with krita (yet to see if this is a reliable method of replication)

When I did that this is what the terminal output said (Unsure if it contains any info or not; Krita's terminal output starts at line 17)

Last edited by rabcor (2014-02-07 06:15:29)

#2 2014-02-05 13:29:08

drcouzelis
Website

Re: [Solved(ish)]QT Applications acting up (start up slow; freeze up)

Just a stab in the dark... Does this fix it? big_smile

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1368002

#3 2014-02-05 15:22:57

rabcor
Banned

Trying this, my hosts file was empty, and my hostname starts with an uppercase letter. I tried adding my hostname at the end of localhost in hosts.

How the hell did you figure this out as a network settings problem?!

Last edited by rabcor (2014-02-05 15:29:03)

#4 2014-02-05 15:33:17

drcouzelis
Website

That solved your problem? Yay! Please "Edit" your original post and label it as "[SOLVED]".

This is my favorite Linux problem because it's so easy to spot, it's so easy to fix, and the solution looks COMPLETELY unrelated. It's like magic! big_smile

#5 2014-02-05 15:34:54

rabcor
Banned

Too early to say it worked yet, but we'll see (If it won't happen again for a while I'll mark as solved)
Update:

It seems to have partially worked. This is kind of strange really.

Right now dolphin and krita work fine if executed normally. However if I run them with sudo as a user (for example "sudo -u '#1000' krita") The problem occurs again for the sudoed instance of the program (but not the normal ones)

I actually need that to work since I use a macro keyboard and as the drivers must be run as root I need to tell them to be run by a user. (I use it for dolphin to open folders I frequently visit)

I guess for me it's ok since i've found that I hate dolphin and it's only a matter of time till I go back to thunar, but it's still odd.

Update2:
I uninstalled dolphin, and I somehow suspect that this error will not occur again without it, but i'll update this thread if it does.

Last edited by rabcor (2014-02-05 17:16:37)

Board footer