You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-06 00:07:53

mattrk

Broadcom Wi-Fi works with wifi-menu, but not netctl.

I'm running arch on a 2013 MacBook Air 11" and it runs great except for a small wifi issue.  I am using the broadcom-wl drivers from the AUR.  I am able to run wifi-menu, connect to networks, and everything works fine.  The problem arises on the next boot when my selected wifi profile will not start.  Any profile I try to start with netctl returns a "profile already in use error".  The profile that it says is in use is not active.  Interestingly, if I run wifi-menu and exit without selecting a network I am able to start my profiles with netctl and everything works as expected.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

#2 2014-02-09 00:54:00

hezekiah

Re: Broadcom Wi-Fi works with wifi-menu, but not netctl.

Hi mattrk, could you paste the error output from netctl when you experience this issue.

Additionally, can you provide the output from the following command:

systemctl list-unit-files | grep net

#3 2014-02-10 04:49:49

mrgrieves

I also have broadcom wifi (broadcom-wl). Even when I had no other netctl services enabled I experienced a similar error on my wireless interface because I had the dhcpcd service enabled. It may be worth disabling it and seeing if it helps.

#4 2014-02-10 04:52:26

frank604

Yes, you should only enable one network manager/service.

#5 2014-02-10 06:48:54

hezekiah

That's a good point, MrGrieves. I figured I'd check netctl services first, but you are right that other configurations can induce this condition as well. If memory serves, anything that has the interface already up will trigger a profile already in use error.

mattrk, do you have any other network related unit files enabled or anything else that may interact with your network interface before netctl executes and you observe the error?

Board footer