You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-08 01:35:05

deepfreeze

fresh install hangs on boot

hello all,

it has been a very long time since I have been in these forums! I used Arch many many years ago (probably at least 8 or 9 years ago) and then went away for a variety of reasons, most of them work and family related. I have decided to start using it again but it is quite different from what I remembered! I found an old Fujitsu Lifebook T4210 tablet/laptop sitting around and decided that I would just wipe the HDD and do a fresh full install of Arch. I read over the Beginner's Guide and went step-by-step through it. Everything seems to go just fine until it comes time to take the CD out and reboot.

I will say that when I used Arch years ago, I used lilo, not grub. I installed grub onto its own partition and followed the instructions the Grub/BIOS instructions. When I reboot, I am presented with 3 different "Arch" options. No matter which I choose, the same thing happens. I get the following error message:

mmc0: unknown controller version (16).

It then attempts to mount the partitions and then the screen goes blank. It almost looks like it is trying to change resolution or go into some graphical display mode, but nothing happens beyond that. I am forced at this point to hard reboot. I have no idea if my issue has anything to do with that error message. I did a little searching and it looks like it has to do with a card reader so I don't think that is my issue. As I said I followed the installation guide to the letter and am running into these issues -- very frustrating!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

My hovercraft is full of eels.

#2 2014-02-08 02:02:21

alphaniner

Re: fresh install hangs on boot

Sounds like a KMS issue. In that case, first thing to do is figure out what kind of GPU you have.

Also, the BG is 'unofficial'. Where are you in relation to the Installation Guide?

Last edited by alphaniner (2014-02-08 02:02:41)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2014-02-08 02:30:00

deepfreeze

According to what I've found online by looking up the particular laptop it appears the GPU is "Intel GMA X3100".  Is there an easy way to verify this?

In the Installation Guide I've made it up to the "Unmount and Reboot" where you exit the chroot environment and attempt to reboot without the live CD.

#4 2014-02-08 02:48:21

alphaniner

Normally I'd say to trust what you found, but according to what I found (pdf) it has GMA 950. So maybe verifying is a good idea. I assume running lspci (in the live environment) should clear things up.

Re: the IG, ok. I just wanted to make sure you hadn't configured for autologin, to boot to X, etc.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2014-02-08 03:07:45

deepfreeze

I ran lspci. Under "VGA Adapter" it had this listing:

Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

#6 2014-02-08 03:12:05

WonderWoofy

Board footer