You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-10 18:46:09

tzomatz

What Archlinuc project do you recommend to start contributing on?

Hello

I am a student at computer sience in Norway, and would maybe like to get into some of the ArchLinux related projects. I am new to programming. Soon to start on the secound year, so I am not that experienced. Therefore, I was wondering wich project that would be a good start for a beginner. Maybe something small...

We do C and Python at school, so I would prefer that.

#2 2014-02-10 19:19:59

ewaller
Administrator

Re: What Archlinuc project do you recommend to start contributing on?

Consider looking through the AUR for an orphaned project that is of interest to you.  Adopt it and take care of it.
Also, the wiki has an article on the topic.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-02-10 19:22:28

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Getting_Involved for ideas. I recommend that you don't try to run before you can crawl, and remember -- there's more ways to contribute to Arch than coding something.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2014-02-10 19:22:56

karol
Archivist

Go through the list https://projects.archlinux.org/ or some git repos like https://github.com/muennich/sxiv (it's not exactly Arch-related, but it's a nice application) and see if you can help.

#5 2014-02-10 19:26:57

tzomatz

Thanks for suggestions. I will check out that wikipage, and look trough the GIT repo and see if there is something there.

I agree with WorMzy about the, "dont walk before you can crawl thing". I just find it boring not to have anything to work on when your done with the manadatory assignments that most others on my school uses forever to complete. School dont issue any programming excercises for people who are done;-) so therefore I was asking. But I guess it could be to complecated quickly yes.

#6 2014-02-10 20:32:09

orschiro
Website

If you really have too much time that you want to devote to FOSS, then these guys highly appreciate your help: http://freedomsponsors.org/core/issue/

#7 2014-02-10 20:42:23

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

orschiro wrote:

If you really have too much time that you want to devote to FOSS, then these guys highly appreciate your help: http://freedomsponsors.org/core/issue/

OP is looking to contribute to Arch.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2014-02-10 20:45:07

orschiro
Website

@jasonwyran

Overlooked. Sorry. In any case, maybe there is still something to get for him as well.

#9 2014-02-10 20:53:04

tzomatz

Yes, primary focus was contributing to ArchLinux yes. Been using the distro for almost seven years, however. Never done any programming. Actually, I was not planning to take a computer degree at all. I am educated as a flight mechanic, but no way of getting a job here, so decided to take up my interest in programming. So, now I am doing five years at a uni to learn programming. Have been at uni for almost a year now, but at school we only do games in SDL and C. I really want to learn GTK, and make something useful. Been digging a little bit into gtk latly since im done with everythng on school atm.

And since I have enjoyed this distro for so long, I thought it would be great to actually give something back. Dont know how much I actually can accomplish at this time, but the learning curve is really high at the university and I really love programming so, if not now, definently in time.

#10 2014-02-24 19:58:55

saif

tzomatz wrote:

Yes, primary focus was contributing to ArchLinux yes. Been using the distro for almost seven years, however. Never done any programming. Actually, I was not planning to take a computer degree at all. I am educated as a flight mechanic, but no way of getting a job here, so decided to take up my interest in programming. So, now I am doing five years at a uni to learn programming. Have been at uni for almost a year now, but at school we only do games in SDL and C. I really want to learn GTK, and make something useful. Been digging a little bit into gtk latly since im done with everythng on school atm.

And since I have enjoyed this distro for so long, I thought it would be great to actually give something back. Dont know how much I actually can accomplish at this time, but the learning curve is really high at the university and I really love programming so, if not now, definently in time.

Hey there. I came here to create the exact same thread. And I "almost" share the same situation. I've been studying programming these last months and I want to contribute back to arch in a fun way, which is programming to me.

If you happen to like the idea of sharing a job, perhaps we could do something together, and it would be easier than separately. Just PM me if so! I am not experienced as a programmer either, but I handle myself.

I mostly use python and smalltalk (this second one almost never fits anywhere though).

Last edited by saif (2014-02-24 20:07:48)

#11 2014-02-24 20:17:44

clfarron4
Website

ewaller wrote:

Consider looking through the AUR for an orphaned project that is of interest to you.  Adopt it and take care of it.

This is what I've done recently. Probably the best advice I would say.

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

Board footer