You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-10 19:15:52

mcloaked

[SOLVED] RTC and dual booting with Windows 8/8.1

I am planning ahead of installing Arch on a windows 8.1 laptop, and need to understand whether or not the known Windows registry hack to get windows to use UTC for the RTC is still valid for Windows 8/8.1?  I have been searching via google and the usual sources of information, but it is not clear to me if there are problems doing this, specifically if arch is dual booted with Windows 8/8.1 rather than older versions of the MS OS. Certainly I have used the technique without any problem in the past when dual booting Windows XP with Arch on several different machines.

Does anyone have personal experience with doing this on a Windows 8 or 8.1 machine and can report here on whether it works successfully or not?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by mcloaked (2014-02-11 21:16:21)

Mike C

#2 2014-02-11 21:16:05

mcloaked

Re: [SOLVED] RTC and dual booting with Windows 8/8.1

Since there were no replies at this point I thought I would just go ahead and implement the registry hack on the Windows 8.1 O/S in the laptop and see if Windows behaves.  It appears to be OK, with the displayed time being correct after reboot, and time synchronisation remaining fine with no problems seen in the displayed time, although I won't be able to read the RTC directly until I have completed the Arch install in the coming week or two.  I now don't foresee any issues with the time synchronisation between booting Arch and Windows 8.1 so I will mark this as solved.

Since the RTC is now in UTC then normal clock config in Arch using chrony should perform normally once the install is done and the new system set up.

Last edited by mcloaked (2014-02-11 21:17:11)

Mike C

#3 2014-02-12 04:25:36

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] RTC and dual booting with Windows 8/8.1

That is good news.  I saw your first post in the thread and was curious how it would turn out.  I have never had occasion to use Windows 8.1 -- I am glad this did not become broken.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer