You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-11 18:02:26

jlacroix

Permanently Disabling Turbo Boost

I currently use the following command to disable Turbo Boost, and it works:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo

I would like this to be permanent, each time I boot this setting is lost. I've found plenty of articles online with how to disable this exactly as I have done above, but can't seem to find any information on how to make this "stick." There is no setting in my BIOS for disabling Turbo Boost, so I must rely on some sort of Arch tweak to keep it disabled. Is there a way to make this permanent?

#2 2014-02-11 18:13:27

lucke

Re: Permanently Disabling Turbo Boost

#3 2014-02-11 18:14:51

Thorsten Reinbold

I think you want to read the Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sysctl.conf

#4 2014-02-11 23:24:20

jlacroix

I've already "read the wiki" and neither of the two links posted above are relevant to my question. One of them even says that it may not work with "sys" devices. I've been researching this all day, and thought maybe someone here could help me. I should've known better.

Sometimes I wonder what the point is in volunteering to answer questions in a forum, but only to make "RTFM" posts. If your heart is not in it, then why do it? This is very sad. My recommendation is to automate the process and write forum scripts to automatically post RTFM replies for you, it may save you guys a lot of time. I bet no one would even notice the replies were coming from bots.

Anyway, I'm unsubscribing from this thread.

#5 2014-02-11 23:41:53

gh02t

So OP apparently unsubscribed, but one possible solution is to use a systemd "oneshot"-type service file to run the same command that he was using automatically at boot. This is described in the link from the first reply.

#6 2014-02-11 23:49:29

Scimmia
Fellow

Um, tmpfiles is very relevant, even if it doesn't work in your specific situation. Have you even tried it? I'm using tmpfiles on /sys right now. You weren't just told to RTFM, you were given links directly to the documentation that would solve your problem. If you don't want to be bothered reading it, nobody here is going to bother helping you.

Last edited by Scimmia (2014-02-11 23:55:18)

#7 2014-02-12 04:03:33

ewaller
Administrator

Well, this thread went south in a hurry.  jlacroix, you did not bother to state you had read the wiki until after links to the appropriate articles were posted.  Then you became belligerent and got your panties in a bunch.  The two posts above this one are relevant -- you may want to take their advice.  The two posts before your diatribe were relevant as well.  All I can suggest is that you read the article linked in my signature as well.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2014-04-30 21:22:40

gee

Just to thank the guys that posted about tmpfiles.d, I had pretty much the same issue as OP.
Using it was so easy and worked really well for me!
Thanks!

Board footer