You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-11 21:18:34

drcouzelis
Website

Shared group account

I need to setup a "shared group account". I've used one before at work. It worked like this:

Everyone has their own username and password. The first person logs in, starts some X applications, does whatever, then locks the screen. The next person to use the computer logs in with their own username and password. This allows a group of people to share an always-running application AND have a nice audit log to trace of who used it.

...my problem is I have NO IDEA what this feature is called or how to set it up.

DISCLAIMER: This was all on a Solaris computer, but I'm assuming it can be done in Linux as well. If it can't be done in Linux, please feel free to close and bin me. tongue

Can anyone please help me get information on how to setup a shared group account?

#2 2014-02-11 21:39:33

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Shared group account

I am confused.  If everyone has their own username and password how is this a shared group account?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2014-02-11 21:43:32

Scimmia
Fellow

I saw something about this on a newsletter recently. They just put the same UID on each of the accounts.

Edit: http://www.itworld.com/operating-system … t-accounts about half way down.

Last edited by Scimmia (2014-02-11 21:53:49)

#4 2014-02-11 22:16:10

Slithery
Administrator

graysky wrote:

I am confused.  If everyone has their own username and password how is this a shared group account?

Because different people are using different username/password combinations to unlock/log on to the same session.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2014-02-12 02:45:21

drcouzelis
Website

slithery wrote:
graysky wrote:

Because different people are using different username/password combinations to unlock/log on to the same session.

Yes, that's correct.

Scimmia wrote:

I saw something about this on a newsletter recently. They just put the same UID on each of the accounts.

Edit: http://www.itworld.com/operating-system … t-accounts about half way down.

Oh, very interesting, thank you! I'll try this out tomorrow. I thought it might have been some sort of Unix "trick"... wink

Board footer