You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-07 04:33:58

moire

[solved]Quod Libet starts w/o errors,doesn't open/play songs

Just got Arch running (switched from Gentoo). Loving it so far, except that Quod Libet isn't working for me. I installed it and its deps with pacman, of course. When I try to open an mp3, it simply does nothing. The file doesn't appear in the playlist, and there's no sound and no terminal output.

Initial terminal outpu when I start quodlibett:

Supported formats: mp3
Loaded song library.
Checking /home/max
Opening audio device.

Looks pretty normal, no? (although shouldn't more than mp3 be supported? I have all the gst-plugins.)

I've configured alsa and xmms is humming away nicely. Admittedly I've never used Quod Libet, but I was looking forward to it. Am I missing some configuration steps?

#2 2006-01-07 10:58:38

atze
Website

Re: [solved]Quod Libet starts w/o errors,doesn't open/play songs

i had the same problem. Please try to

pacman -S gst-plugins-mad gst-plugins-ogg

Somehow i had the gst-plugins package installed but it didn't install any of the gst-plugins

#3 2006-01-07 20:10:58

moire

Thanks, I just tried that, but the results are exactly the same as before: in the terminal it says only mp3 is supported, and when I try to open an mp3, nothing happens. Any Quod Libet users out there, please help!

Edit: I just tried running Quod Libet as root, and as root it can play mp3s. Is there a permissions problem? It still only supports mp3 as root, though.

#4 2006-01-07 20:48:06

atze
Website

do this as root

gpasswd -a username audio

this adds your user to the audio group
you can also try to add your user to dbus, hal, disk

#5 2006-01-07 20:53:36

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Did you add your user to the audio group?

To install all the gst plugins, do:
pacman -S gstreamer-plugins

Also try to install gst-plugins-vorbis to see if it will give you oggvorbis support.

To get flac support, you'll need to install pyflac from the community repo and the corresponding gst plugins.

BTW, I'm currently having problems with exfalso, the tagg editing app that comes with quodlibet.

#6 2006-01-07 21:10:22

moire

Yes, my user was already in the audio group. It wasn't in the disk group though, so I tried that, but no luck. I don't seem to have dbus or hal groups. I'm more concerned about the fact that I can't open any files. Has anyone experienced this? I don't know what I would have to change to make Quod Libet usable as non-root.

#7 2006-01-07 21:38:35

atze
Website

well i encounterd almost the same problem and that was solved by installing the gst plugins. If xmms is working it shouldn't be and udev permission.

#8 2006-01-09 01:16:03

moire

Problem solved by deleting ~/.quodlibet directory. Lesson learned: don't start Quod Libet before setting up ALSA, or else you'll get a bad configuration that sticks even after you've set up ALSA. D'oh!

#9 2006-01-09 04:28:59

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I'm glad you found out the problem. big_smile

For the record, the exfalso problem I mentionned above was caused because I had id3 tags in the flac files.  flac has its own native tagging system and exfalso 0.16 is more severe about that.  See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/3717 for full details.

#10 2006-02-16 04:28:56

elasticdog
Website

Well, I'm running across the same problem.  I just installed Quod Libet (I got sick of Rhythmbox) and can't locate any mp3 files nor play anything.  I am part of the <code>audio</code> group, all of the <code>gst-plugins</code> are installed properly, I tried removing the <code>~/.quodlibet/</code> directory, and starting it from the command line lists no "Supported formats:".  Any thoughts?

Board footer