You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-20 03:16:56

jjtjp

Understanding fonts

I've had a archlinux build running in VirtualBox for some time now. I only have had a console up until recently though because I only used it for gcc to make sure my stuff compiled before submitting assignments. Well I decided to take the plunge into Window Managers and managed to get awesome installed. But then I decided I hated the size of the font and started looking for some options. I found out about terminus and used pacman to get it. Here's what I don't understand though:
   Why do some fonts get set with

xterm*font:-*-*fontfamily-*-*(etc)

but others like terminus need

xterm*font: terminus:pixelsize=14

? And I sort of understand the format of the former. At least you can use another program (xfontsel) to see the naming convention. But even after spending time editing my .xinitrc to xset +fp the font path and getting xfontsel to show terminus, I still can't set it in the "-*-*-terminus*-*-whtever" format. I got it to work with the latter style, but I have no idea what's going on.

My major is computer engineering, so I am always looking to find the nitty gritty details behind something if I have the time or the information is available. I guess what I really want to know is how are the fonts implemented in linux. I get that there are True Type and bitmap types. But is there any guide besides a full out man page that can give me the gist? Thanks in advance.

Also, I had a heck of a time getting my registration to go through. I can't copy/paste in or out of my virtual machine and for some reason %V doesn't work. I finally got it to work with an online terminal but isn't there an easier way to keep out bots? /rant

#2 2014-02-20 08:37:17

redstar

Re: Understanding fonts

Perhaps this link will be educational, though it probably doesn't answer all of your questions: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_ … escription

#3 2014-02-20 09:38:34

captaincurrie

Great link! I've been wondering about this myself.

Thanks

#4 2014-02-20 12:35:17

jjtjp

Thanks redstar! I swear i searched high and low for something like that.

Board footer